Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-27-2009, 03:05 AM
LawnSite Member

anyone using a Kubota W5021 walk behind mower?

anyone using a Kubota W5021 walk behind mower?

this mower is built like a tank... shaft driven rear wheel drive...

Old 03-27-2009, 07:55 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have one and you are correct, they are definitely built like tanks. Mine isn't the self propelled version so it can get pretty heavy to push when the bag is full. It runs great though and never fails to start no matter how long it has sat for. Too bad Kubota doesn't market them in the US anymore, but the parts for them are readily available. If you ever find another don't let it go, these things are indestructible, a true commercial mower if there ever was one.
Old 03-28-2009, 08:47 PM
LawnSite Member

thanks for the feedback... can't seem to find anyone local that's even heard of a Kubota push mower... including the Kubota dealer.

mine starts very easy too... shaft rear drive is the bomb!
peels out... everything about W5021 is overbuilt.

just about done taking care of all the maintenance items. should be good to go for several more seasons!

how's the grass bagger... any good?
didn't get one with mower... can order one for $81...
Old 03-29-2009, 01:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The bagger works well picking up clippings and also piles of leaves. It's almost a necessity with these mowers since they don't have a side discharge.
Old 03-29-2009, 02:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Could you tell me where to buy an air filter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WH401 View Post
I have one and you are correct, they are definitely built like tanks. Mine isn't the self propelled version so it can get pretty heavy to push when the bag is full. It runs great though and never fails to start no matter how long it has sat for. Too bad Kubota doesn't market them in the US anymore, but the parts for them are readily available. If you ever find another don't let it go, these things are indestructible, a true commercial mower if there ever was one.
I have this model and cannot find an air filter or spark plug designed for this model ANYWHERE! Thanks in advance for your help!
Mike
doogielangley@yahoo.com
Old 03-29-2009, 04:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d22butler View Post
I have this model and cannot find an air filter or spark plug designed for this model ANYWHERE! Thanks in advance for your help!
Mike
doogielangley@yahoo.com
Have you checked the Kubota dealer?, I know they can order the parts, at least mine can.
Old 03-29-2009, 07:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yes and if you can't get them I will buy it from you.
Old 05-26-2009, 03:45 PM
LawnSite Member

I bought a new Kubota W5021 about 15 years ago, best walk behind mower ever built! Still works like new, never given me a lick of trouble. The turbo fan really assists in throwing the grass which in turn packs it in tighter to fit more in the bag. The curved handle makes it the most ergonomically comfortable mower.

So far this thing is bullet proof, but I did recently buy extra blades, air filters and another bag just in case Kubota stops stocking parts for it.

I still have the full color brochure from when I bought it, I'll try to scan it and post it. The W series came in two sizes the W5019 (19") or the W5021 (21"), and you could get it with or without the blade clutch and with or without self propelled. Mine has self propelled and the blade clutch. The "residential" version is what I have and it's better built and engineered than other commercial mowers, Kubota also had the "commercial version which had steel wheels that were also taller than the plastic residential model. The commercial model also had a larger fuel tank and the catcher bag was black instead of white.

It's a shame that Kubota never sold enough of these to warrant a continued production of them, not only are they build tough they also look good (if a mower can look good).
Old 05-26-2009, 06:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Found the brochure and manual from when I bought it, May 1996. These are scans, sorry for the poor quality.

Old 06-24-2009, 09:26 AM
LawnSite Member

Hi, all the Kubota owners. I have recently found the following web sites to order tires, blade, and handle lock bolts. It was so easy to find every part I was looking for. After more than 15 years of use, I had changed the oil only once. But I finally made the second oil change this summer.

Good luck you all!!

1. Go to the following website to download the parts list for W5021-PC:
http://www.box.net/shared/re8xraul55

2. Enter the part number(s) at the following website address:
http://www.tractorsmart.com/PartsBoo...aPriceList.asp

3. Type in the part number, and follow the instructions to order.

4. Manuals -- Parts manual number: 97898-40020; Shop manual number: 97897-10485; and, Owner's manual number: 65651-62912 – Type them in to order.