Advanced Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-23-2015, 06:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

companies who mow yards that haven't grown. How do you convince customers?

I don't get it guys keep mowing these yards once a week that have zero growth. Customers let you do that? Mine tell me to quit mowing. Makes me mad I drive past these two houses who I quoted at the beginning of the season and they still have their yard cut every week. They wanted me to bag the yard and mow it for $23. I'm fixing to go have a chat with them about how the company is ripping them off.
Old 10-23-2015, 06:37 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I'd keep your nose in your business. Some people want their property looking sharp at all times.
Old 10-23-2015, 06:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I don't do that to my customers. I have developed a trust with my customers, they know that if the lawn doesn't need to be cut, that I will not be there milking them for their money. On the other hand they don't question me in the spring when I have to mow extra because of more growth.

Honesty is a great thing...
Old 10-23-2015, 06:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

yep, that's what you should do.
Old 10-23-2015, 06:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dKoester View Post
I'd keep your nose in your business. Some people want their property looking sharp at all times.
I'm just hoping I can convince my customers to do bi weekly cutting this winter. Many of them only call once a month in the off season. Maybe it's all about picking up the correct customers who want their yards maintained. I'm just trying to avoid having to pickup a part time job.
Old 10-23-2015, 07:02 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

My housekeeper cleans my house every week, even if it's not dirty. ($100) I live alone. Am I getting ripped off.

We sell year round lawn maintenance. 12 months a year.

You think that you are honest and Noble. You're telling me that you don't value yourself and your profession.

A plumber or HVAC serviceman charges about $100 to show up. Tell a plumber that you will give him $30 each week, year round, to come over and replace a washer in your old style kitchen faucet. (ten minute job) See if he's interested. A lawn maintenance contractor has MUCH more invested in equipment and anyone can learn to do plumbing.
Old 10-23-2015, 07:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dKoester View Post
This is my instant thought exactly. But since im in a good mood i will entertain this question. Did you ever stop to think that the LC is in contract with the client and that they guarantee weekly service until the agreements cease date?
Maybe the lawn did not grow with hreat height but they want to keep the turf looking sharpe and the edging clean.
It is also fall, leaves/pine needles/acorns ect. come down and need to be maintained.

Just because you have a different way of doing business does not mean it is exacted with all other lco's.

Having trust with a homeowner in the way in which you conduct your business in servicing you client does not mean you should short yourself. So if you are good natured in finding out why others are still servicing their clients now you know.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-23-2015, 07:07 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready to Mow View Post
I'm just hoping I can convince my customers to do bi weekly cutting this winter. Many of them only call once a month in the off season. Maybe it's all about picking up the correct customers who want their yards maintained. I'm just trying to avoid having to pickup a part time job.
You need to learn how to diversify your services during the winter months in order to not stress your self over finding a part time job. I believe your in the Ocala area and you should be able to find enough work to keep yourself steady through the Spring. Myob about other companies cutting other customers lawns. When and if those same customers want another service provider they will contact you, usually when you least expect it.
easy-lift guy
Old 10-23-2015, 07:09 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkshot99 View Post
I don't do that to my customers. I have developed a trust with my customers, they know that if the lawn doesn't need to be cut, that I will not be there milking them for their money. On the other hand they don't question me in the spring when I have to mow extra because of more growth.

Honesty is a great thing...
So, you drive by the customers house and if it doesn't need any maintenance, you just keep driving. No problem... No loss, your time has no value any way... Right???

And in the spring, when the grass is growing VIGOROUSLY, and you have to double cut and blow the clumps in the grass... You just bill them $50 for that $30 customer?
Old 10-23-2015, 07:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

State upfront with new customers that you mow how ever often you want to mow. Do this in writing. Contracts may not go very far with residential lawns, but having some service agreement goes along way. I tell all customers upfront now that I now weekly unless there are serious drought conditions. Then it's every two wks at the longest. Resume weekly service when rain restores grass. Having lots of shrub trimming jobs helps make up for lost income during these times, or other lawn related work. You can make concessions here and there based on the person and your finances but overall stick to your guns and be respectfull. Try to stay away from elderly customers as much as possible b cause they don't seem to comprehend that you are actually running a business. You'll find a few that are agreeable and easy to work for, but most are a headache when it comes to scheduling and working on your own terms. Be very choosy from here on out if you can afford to say no to work. I can't mow everyone on a 5 day schedule in the spring bc I am solo and have over 60 lawns, so I don't charge more but make sure they know I make up for this later in the year by continuing to mow weekly excluding total dormancy conditions. You won't have everyone accept this, but the good ones will. Put your policies in writing for them to read. I've had zero problems with people trying to dictate my schedule since doing this.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by lawnsaspire; 10-23-2015 at 07:21 PM.