Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-18-2014, 10:22 AM
LawnSite Member

Mower tire pattern - grass burn

I mowed one of my fertilizer customers lawn while they were on vacation - 3 times. It was a hot weather period. When they got back it the grass had browned on part of the lawn in the exact pattern of the tire marks. Is this dead or dormant? From the heat? Does changing the pattern prevent this? Now they want to know what happened. Any advice?

www.JonsLawnsMD.com
Old 07-18-2014, 10:29 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Dormant from hear
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-18-2014, 10:30 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

They are called heat tracks. Go to this site. http://msue.anr.msu.edu/news/heat_tracks_on_lawns
Don't worry, the grass will come back.

I love my country, but mistrust my government, and the government doesn't create jobs, it just takes my money and gives it to other people or groups it thinks it can bribe.
Old 07-18-2014, 10:40 AM
LawnSite Member

Very helpful. Thanks.

www.JonsLawnsMD.com
Old 07-18-2014, 01:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonLawn View Post
Very helpful. Thanks.
Just a little tip...

You can get a Maryland phone number for FREE from Google Voice. Just have the Google Voice number forward all of the calls from the new number to your New York registered phone number.

I have a Maryland number but live here in North Carolina. I put my Google Voice number on my website and it forwards all calls to my MD number and my house.

Some people are a little put off by having a non local phone number that requires them to call long distance. Not everybody has free long distance. It's just something to think about.

Old 07-18-2014, 04:44 PM
LawnSite Member

I did get a Google # but decided not to use it. Two reasons, for now my current # is on EVERYTHING. Trucks, cards, shirts, all over the internet. Second reason is I was turned off by when you call the google # is says something to the effect of "Now connecting to Google customer".

My funny # is commented on by people. It is an icebreaker and anecdote of sorts. If someone doesn't want to spend the nickel to call me long distance they can email me or they may be too cheap for my fees, and my schedule is booked this year. As I expand and hire more employees I am sure I will change my #.

Back to the thread, I spoke with the customer with the heat tracks and she was pleased to hear that it was the mower and not an issue with her sod and she said she was very pleased with her service this year. Phew.

www.JonsLawnsMD.com
Old 07-18-2014, 04:54 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonLawn View Post
I did get a Google # but decided not to use it. Two reasons, for now my current # is on EVERYTHING. Trucks, cards, shirts, all over the internet. Second reason is I was turned off by when you call the google # is says something to the effect of "Now connecting to Google customer".

My funny # is commented on by people. It is an icebreaker and anecdote of sorts. If someone doesn't want to spend the nickel to call me long distance they can email me or they may be too cheap for my fees, and my schedule is booked this year. As I expand and hire more employees I am sure I will change my #.

Back to the thread, I spoke with the customer with the heat tracks and she was pleased to hear that it was the mower and not an issue with her sod and she said she was very pleased with her service this year. Phew.
It has to do with mowing when the yard is dry
..the mower crushes the crispy grass...walking in a yard in this fragile state will produce the same results...water the lawn prior can help
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-18-2014, 05:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Heat tracks huh? I'm not buying that. Only time I ever seen anything like that was from driving on a lawn shortly after putting down N. UAN sprayed without enough carrier to be exact. I never get that from just urea, unless I overlap the same spot more than twice. It is why my sprayer boom is on the back and not the front where I would like it. My first app when I mounted a tank to a mower the boom was on the front and tires made burn tracks everywhere. I mow EVERY hot day of the summer-even the dry days and I have for several years. I NEVER saw this from mowing. When I spray N I never go across a sprayed area to refill or for any reason.

I wouldn't mind being wrong and learning something new today, but I don't think this is going to be the threadHeat tracks- I read it on the internet, has to be real.
Old 07-18-2014, 06:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Have this happen every year, althought not nearly as bad. Lawns get dry and 1/2 the lawn needs to be mowed other half doesnt. A week later end up having tire tracks untill we get a heavy rain.

Doesnt happen often but does happen, just gotta watch for the grass. If you walk on it and its crispy, stay away.
Old 07-18-2014, 06:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have this happen even on lawns that get the 21" and are never fertilized, I buy into the heat track thing, it makes sense and I have seen it on numerous lawns all around town, some of the lawns are crispy crunchy.