Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-20-2002, 01:23 AM
LawnSite Member

Florida Fertilizer/Pesticide Laws

I have been told that the laws in Florida are pretty stricked and if I understand them correctly I am not allowed to spread a weed and Feed fertilzer on lawns as a proffesional lawn care company, whether I have a pesticide license or not.

I have been told that there is a limited herbicide/Pesticide License I can get, however I will not be able to treat lawns for weeds, it will only allow me to treat flowers.

Is this true?

Please Help I am looking to provide my clients the most service I can however don't want to do anything illegal.

Thank You in advance.
Jeremy
Old 03-20-2002, 01:57 AM
Banned

" I am not allowed to spread a weed and Feed fertilzer on lawns as a proffesional lawn care company, whether I have a pesticide license or not. "

If that is true then why would anybody want to get a liscence, and how would any chemicals be applied? Where I live, you take a test, get certified, register your business as a pesticide business, and you are set to go. There are several other things that come into play there, but that's the basic run down of it.
Old 03-20-2002, 11:05 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

JeremySkrocki

The Florida limited pesticide license is often called the "Roundup license". You can treat weeds in planter beds and even kill a few bugs on plants with this license. Check with your county extension agent for full details. However you must have 3 years in the green industry and prove it with taxes forms to be able to take the test. Your county extension agent gives an 8 hour course on pesticide safety followed by a 2 hr test. This test, I have been told, can be done in about 20 minutes. Anyone who can't pass this test can't read. You can then apply for a license with proper insurance coverage. My company is fully boat licensed including termite therefore I have never taken the limited test. No you can't apply weed and feed with this limited license. Florida laws are tuff but enforcement is not up to par. So your biggest risk is getting turned in by licensed pest control companies. Believe me I have turned in many people and feel it is my duty to do so, as do other pest control companies. We have worked long and hard to get the full license and have taken a test that is one of the hardest in the nation.

Ps. Florida Lawn Handbook $19.95 U of Fla. Bookstore, or even Home Depot. It is the bible of Fla. Turf Care

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.