Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-31-2009, 09:54 PM
LawnSite Member

What about the product Earth mate? I heard of this stuff called earth made or earth mate or something. Its supposed to be pastuerized human poop or something. Apparently its like awesome stuff and free sometimes at town waste disposal plants. I suppose it bagged sometimes and sold too.

I'm not sure if anyone has heard of this.
Old 03-31-2009, 10:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMGL&L View Post
What about the product Earth mate? I heard of this stuff called earth made or earth mate or something. Its supposed to be pastuerized human poop or something. Apparently its like awesome stuff and free sometimes at town waste disposal plants. I suppose it bagged sometimes and sold too.

I'm not sure if anyone has heard of this.
Here in Wisco , we call it Milorganite.
Old 03-31-2009, 10:39 PM
LawnSite Member

They are probably one and the same. I watched the video they offered online. Maybe I will start a thread or something about it later on. Thanks.
Old 03-31-2009, 10:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Not a big fan of

I'm not a big fan of human waste even though it's heated. If you think about it, everything that goes down the toilet can go into those products. Think about all the estrogen, for example, and not to mention drugs of all kinds,etc. Sorry, but I would rather stay with animal waste.
Old 03-31-2009, 11:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinch Bug View Post
I'm not a big fan of human waste even though it's heated. If you think about it, everything that goes down the toilet can go into those products. Think about all the estrogen, for example, and not to mention drugs of all kinds,etc. Sorry, but I would rather stay with animal waste.
Detox - takes place long b4 it is 'heated'... My main concern is not what they put in the bag, rather what do they do with the 'cleaning' water.!?!?!

Milorganite has been cool since its inception - except for the heavy metal thing. That was cleared up in '93. So from the early part of the last century - Milorganite has set the standard for others to follow. It is probably safer than your local micro-brewery beer. Or your salmonella peanut butter, your e-coli lettuce and spinach, etc. etc.

Besides - do you know what they are doing to the animals? Estrogen is nothing compared to the synthetic hormones and high energy feeds and the medicines necesary, to keep them animals alive long enough to make eggs, milk and meat...
Dairy cows now have an active life of less than 5 years. Chickens can't stand up - let alone walk... Where are they better poop producers than us once we clean out the toxins??
Old 03-31-2009, 11:19 PM
LawnSite Member

I hear it does wonders for your annuals.

...The human estrogen and drugs that is...
Old 03-31-2009, 11:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

If you've ever had your annuals estrogened and drugged - you would know what he means...
Old 04-01-2009, 06:24 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
Detox - takes place long b4 it is 'heated'... My main concern is not what they put in the bag, rather what do they do with the 'cleaning' water.!?!?!
They simply retreat the cleaning water.

"A well-regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."
Old 04-01-2009, 07:47 AM
LawnSite Member

No growth hormones in poultry production

You guys need to read this from a leading university in the SEC.

"The poultry industry in the U.S. does not use any growth hormone or any other hormone in producing meat or eggs. It has been illegal to use hormones of any kind in the production of poultry products for almost 50 years. Some other animal industries may still use hormone implants but it is not done with any commercial poultry. From the industry's viewpoint, it is expensive and unnecessary because the present care and management is so good that birds grow equally well without feeding or using hormone implants."
Old 04-01-2009, 05:55 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinch Bug View Post
You guys need to read this from a leading university in the SEC.

"The poultry industry in the U.S. does not use any growth hormone or any other hormone in producing meat or eggs. It has been illegal to use hormones of any kind in the production of poultry products for almost 50 years. Some other animal industries may still use hormone implants but it is not done with any commercial poultry. From the industry's viewpoint, it is expensive and unnecessary because the present care and management is so good that birds grow equally well without feeding or using hormone implants."
Yes, but they do use geneticly modified feed stock. One must face the fact, in the old days, animals ranged free and pooped wherever and whenever they pleased. Humans didnt use toliets and mostly went in the woods. Some dug a hole. All plant residues went back on the soil. In this day and age, everything that is grown is consumed and then passes thru a septic system or treatment plant and nothing is placed back on top of the soil. Is it any wonder that the humis levels of our soil are declineing. We take so much off our soil that it is never fully replaced, even with the use of chemical fertilizers. Manures do a soil good.