Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-27-2009, 04:13 PM
LawnSite Member

wow this is amazing!!!

Ok i put in a bid for a job that would take about an hour and 20 min. i bid it for 60 dollars. I thought that was very reasonable. I just found out today that someone won the bid for a wopping 25 DOLLARS. how can people do this. i guess the owner of the company will realize soon cause i dont see how they can do a very good job for the cheap. just venting let me know what yall think.
Old 03-27-2009, 04:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

what kind of job?

SOLO OPERATION
Old 03-27-2009, 04:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Get ready. In these economic times people will do just about anything to make a dollar. Its happening all over. Used to be the young kid down the street living with Mom and Dad with no overhead. Now its anybody out of a job and looking to put food on the table.
Old 03-27-2009, 05:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Who told you that the winning bid went for $25? Man people are starting to believe anything, anyone tells them. Customers lie, Everyone lies.
Old 03-27-2009, 05:07 PM
LawnSite Member

Mississippi is right, its gonna be happening all over for a while, anybody with a push mower or lawn tractor, weedeater and a hand held blower is going to try and make that extra money. I know a guy who has worked for a big construction company, he has been there since 1969 and has never once been laid off. He got laid off about a month ago and finally got called the other day telling him he will be back to work within the month. When they are laying people off like that what else can people do?? I feel bad for them but I also see where they are coming from, you gotta put food on the table. Just hate it that they are taking money out of our pockets as well.
36" Bobcat WB
Stihl BR320 Blower
Stihl FS 90 Trimmer
Echo SRM210 String Trimmer
Echo PE200 Stick Edger
Maruyama Hedge Trimmer
assorted handtools

Seagrave's Gods gift to the fire service!!
Old 03-27-2009, 05:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambersLawnmowing View Post
Who told you that the winning bid went for $25? Man people are starting to believe anything, anyone tells them. Customers lie, Everyone lies.
Isn't that the truth! I've had dozens look me right in the face a lie to me about what they're currently paying or what some other LCOs bid was when I already knew who was doing it or who else bid on it... And although they may have given a lower quote it damn sure wasn't anywhere near the 30-40% lower that the customer said it was. We all know within a few bucks of the other guys "minimum" for certain kinds of work and whenever we're directly competing for a job it's always a "toss up" as to who gets it... prices are that close.

Even the scabs around here won't unload their mower for less than $25 and that's for a postage stamp mow, blow and go.

Just today I had 2 people tell me they had quotes for $25... ironicaly when I said thanks for letting me give you a quote and started to leave both asked "well aren't you gong to match that?" Or "you mean you won't come off your price". To both I said "no, I know what I have to charge in order to pay my staff and pay the company bills. If some fool thinks he can do a good job for you and make money at that price and you believe him then there's nothing I can do until you realize you've made a mistake hiring him or he realizes he made a mistake in not charging enough and just quits showing up"

I got one of the jobs and not the other. I priced both at $40 and both were maybe 1/2 acre with minimal trimming and edging.

These were both phone book calls, not existing customers. And I believe both lied to me about the quotes.. The one obviously didn't have anyone currently cutting it and the other guy was shopping whoever is doing it now.
Old 03-27-2009, 05:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Location: sw Ohio, Wilmington (the wettest place in the state)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaferhaus View Post
If some fool thinks he can do a good job for you and make money at that price and you believe him then there's nothing I can do until you realize you've made a mistake hiring him or he realizes he made a mistake in not charging enough and just quits showing up"
I'm trying to memorize this setence.
Old 03-27-2009, 05:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by punt66 View Post
what kind of job?
sry it was a mowing bid.
Old 03-27-2009, 05:48 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambersLawnmowing View Post

there was several people telling me other lco that also bid the property
Old 03-27-2009, 06:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Haggerty View Post
I'm trying to memorize this setence.
Me too