Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-27-2009, 05:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Watch out for the DOT. I feel like I got bent over.

Monday, I was driving from here in Missouri to Iowa to get my Dixie chopper worked on. I was driving my Isuzu NPR with landscaper body. I got about 20 miles into Iowa and got pulled over by the Iowa DOT. He said since I am commercial, over 10000lbs I need DOT #'s on my truck. I told him I don't do any business in Iowa only Missouri. He said if that truck crosses the state line I am in violation regardless. He had me pulled over for 1.25hrs. We checked all lighting, steering, cargo being secured. He checked to see if had a class E license, proper insurance, vehicle inspection, registration. He asked my for my medical card. I told him I don't have a CDL so I don't need it. He said now you know you do. He asked for my fire ext. He wanted to see my triangles. I had those.

I ended up receiving three violations. No DOT numbers. No medical card. No fire extinguisher. Each violation cost $83. So $250 to start off the day.

Guy watch out. Missouri, Iowa, and Nebraska are all starting to crack down on us smaller businesses. The states are almost broke and this is an avenue for more revenue. Just be aware. Needless to say I was a little suprised. Thank God I wasn't pulling a trailer. I can't imagine how many violations they could come up with.
Old 03-27-2009, 05:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry to hear that man. Down here they require DOT for anyone over 10000lbs GVW or GCVW (commercial use that is). I use a 2500HD that has a rating at 9200 gvw. So, when I am not pulling a trailer I do not have to worry about being marked. But soon as I hook up I have to. I bought magnets that have the company name and DOT # on them. Pretty simple actually. Just make sure you have all the safety stuff, everything secured properly, and def need a medical card. My doctor did that for $80. Total cost for everything to be "DOT" legal was only $220. I would recommend just getting the DOT #'s and being done with it. Best of luck to you
Old 03-27-2009, 05:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Whats a Class E license?
Old 03-27-2009, 05:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I just googled it and it is a "for hire" license. Not CDL but a license for anyone using a vehicle that is used for transporting products/equiment for your company or driving a vehicle under 26,000 that is used in business. Kind of a vague interpertation. Just google as Class E Missouri
Old 03-27-2009, 05:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

A class E license in a commercial drivers license. Anyone who is driving the vehicles for business use is required by law to have either a class E or CDL. All it amount to is taking a simple written exam and around $15. All of our employees and myself have a class E.
Old 03-27-2009, 05:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPsDuramax View Post
I just googled it and it is a "for hire" license. Not CDL but a license for anyone using a vehicle that is used for transporting products/equiment for your company or driving a vehicle under 26,000 that is used in business. Kind of a vague interpertation. Just google as Class E Missouri
Exactly, don't be caught without one. Not sure about all states but atleast in Missouri and Iowa.
Old 03-27-2009, 05:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMlawncare View Post
A class E license in a commercial drivers license. Anyone who is driving the vehicles for business use is required by law to have either a class E or CDL. All it amount to is taking a simple written exam and around $15. All of our employees and myself have a class E.
Like I have said before, I am so happy I live in Georgia
Old 03-27-2009, 05:54 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPsDuramax View Post
Like I have said before, I am so happy I live in Georgia
Is there anywhere else to live but Georgia!?
echo hedge clippers
echo long pole hedge clippers
Redmax weedeater
echo 650 BP blower
6 x 16 trailer
5 x 8 trailor
2001 Chevy LS Silverado
Polaris Sportsman 500 AWD ATV
last but not least, TWINS!
Old 03-27-2009, 05:57 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Those DOT officers are right to the point. I knew within the first 2 minutes there was not going to be a warning given out. The man could almost smell the green.

I wonder how companies like Ryder and Uhaul get around the regulations. I asked the officer if I would get DOT #'s would all my employees need medical cards. He said Yes. When was the last time you seen someone driving a 1 ton uhaul pulling a car with a medical card? Remember Uhaul and Ryder are just businesses like yours and mine. I wonder how they are able to skirt the regulations. They alway go from state to state.
Old 03-27-2009, 05:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by QualityLawnCare4u View Post
Is there anywhere else to live but Georgia!?
No, there sure isn't. I have been all over the country and Georgia is def the place to be.

Waycross is down in south Georgia, right?