Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-28-2009, 04:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

paver edging problem

I am having a problem with the plastic edging. Mainly it occurs where pavers meet beds. Where turf comes right up to pavers the edging is fine. but in beds it seems to expand, warp and rise up.

Pavers are installed correctly in base and sand etc etc. Edging is installed per manufacturers directions. It is at the bottom half of the pavers and I have nailed it with spacing from 15" down to 3-4" in experimenting to solve the problem. Seems to be more of a problem on straight runs. I have tried relaying edging on hot sunny days after it sits in the sun thinking it would shrink but it still seems to work free.

Any ideas or alternatives?
Old 03-28-2009, 05:49 PM
LawnSite Member

If the edging your using is warping really bad it might just be crap. Get a thick solid edging. I have seen some at Home Depot that is just flimsy junk. Spend the extra and get the good stuff.

Might also be frost heaving of the spikes. I wrote an article on this a while ago:

This is a common problem that most brick paver patios, driveways and walkways will run into at some point. If left alone it could cause major structural problems in the pavement system. It is fixable with the right knowledge and determination.

What is it?

Simply put it is an edge restraint to keep the pavers in place. Brick pavers form an interlocking system which gives them great strength. The pavers are laid in patterns that interlock with each other. The more pavers touching each other the better. This is why a herringbone pattern is one of the strongest patterns. Each paver touches and interlocks with 6 others. The paver joints are filled with sand that holds the pavers tight but allows some flexibility. The entire interlocking system would fail if it did not have something along the perimeter to hold everything in place. As cars turn into a driveway the weight of the car and turning wheels wants to push the pavers in which ever direction the car is moving, which would cause the pavers to separate and spread. This even occurs with foot traffic.The edge restraint is installed to hold everything together. It is basically 7-12 foot sections of hardened plastic formed usua Read the rest at http://www.allhardscaping.blogspot.com
Old 04-01-2009, 10:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm a glutton for punishment so get ready to shoot me for what I have to say. We have heavy clay soil here in Madison, WI. The small contractor I currently work for and the very large contractor I used to work for have not used edge restraint for over 10 years because of the heaving problem.

We extend our gravel base out at least 6" beyond the soldier course. Then we backfill up to the soldier course with soil and tamp it down. We never have a problem with the pavers moving. I have looked at 8-9 year old jobs done by both companies and nothing has moved, paver driveways included.

I am not against ICPI specs. I follow every other guideline but the edge restraint. I will use edge restraint for permeable pavers.
Old 04-01-2009, 10:27 PM
LawnSite Member

I hate to say it but I can see that on patios but on driveways where there is any type of turning or change of direction in traffic you really need edging. I have done repairs on driveway that have shifted over a foot from the cars turning in. There was even edging in place. For these 90 degree turns from street todriveway your best bet in concrete curbs. You could also use an edge restraint with webbing or geogrid attached and laid back under the pavers. It is something way out of the ordinary. I'll write more about it and how to do it in a few days when I get more time. It works really greta though.
Old 04-01-2009, 11:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

These arem all on walks and patios. I buy the edging from my main paver supplier (I mainly use Grinnel pavers) Not sure who makes the edging. My supplier says he has heard of others with the problem but offers no real advice. I will try to get a picture of the edging tomorrow.

Maybe I will try just pulling it out. The base does extend out past the edge of the pavers and truthfully the pavers don't seem to move much. They have been sanded and compacted. The edging just ends up looking terrible.
Old 04-02-2009, 02:04 PM
LawnSite Member

I use plastic edging and have never had any problems with it. Maybe you need to experiment with a different product or even material instead of frustrating the hell out of yourself. Doesn't make sense to me that edging should take that much time and worry.
Old 04-02-2009, 04:26 PM
LawnSite Member

use concrete

we use concrete and NEVER had a problem excavate along the pavers about 6-8" deep and pour a "wedge" coming half way up the paver.
Old 04-02-2009, 08:52 PM
LawnSite Member

I have seen a handful of patios with concrete as edging. It has always held up well. I know ICPI says not to use it in freeze thaw climates, which we have a lot of but what I have seen has lasted better than palstic. Does your area have must freeze/thaw?
Old 04-02-2009, 11:51 PM
LawnSite Member

yes in Pittsburgh we have freeze thaw weather
Old 04-02-2009, 11:58 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

The frost is pushing up the nails and lifts the restraint.