Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-21-2002, 09:06 AM
LawnSite Member

simply accounting

in all my reading on software that people use it seems that quick books is used a lot. My accountant uses simply accounting and has said she would help with any questions i had if i would purchase this package. She also has been using this program for 8 years and knows everything about it, whereas quick books she knows very little about. Price is really not the issue as both are priced similarly.
So does anybody have any experience with simply accounting?

thanks
Old 03-21-2002, 10:11 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Re: simply accounting

Quote:
Originally posted by steelcity
in all my reading on software that people use it seems that quick books is used a lot. My accountant uses simply accounting and has said she would help with any questions i had if i would purchase this package. She also has been using this program for 8 years and knows everything about it, whereas quick books she knows very little about. Price is really not the issue as both are priced similarly.
So does anybody have any experience with simply accounting?

thanks
I have no experience with it.

Something to consider though, almost any accountant who is computer literate will have exposure to Quickbooks. Not nearly as many will have exposure to Simply Accounting. If you plan on staying with this accountant, you will be fine with Simply Accounting, if you have any thoughts about changing, you might want to consider Quickbooks.

Again, this is not a slam on Simply Accounting, but Quickbooks has the market share. Maybe your accountant would like to become more familiar with Quickbooks so that she can expand her business.
Old 03-23-2002, 10:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm working on obtaining my CPA certification and should have it by this time next year. I'm 22 by the way. I have never heard of Simply Accounting. However, I probably use Quickbooks once a day, sometimes for the whole day as I generate financial statements from which to prepare the client's tax return.

BTW- is your accountant a CPA? I am speaking for my profession and not trying to knock your accoutant AT ALL. I would personally be real hesitant using someone that does not have to face peer reviews and a code of ethics such as a CPA. This would be like letting someone represent you if they are not a licensed lawyer.

Good luck with your software choice.

-Jeff-
"Now the guy's gotta come up with Paulie's money every week no matter what...'Business bad?- screw you, pay me.' 'Oh, you had a fire?- Screw you, Pay me.' 'Place got hit by lightning huh?, SCREW YOU, PAY ME'

- Ray Liotta as Henry Hill in Goodfellas
Old 03-24-2002, 09:39 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

There is so much more add on stuff available for QB. Stick with a proven leader.
Old 03-24-2002, 12:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Just wanted to shed a little light on this....

steelcity is from Canada (like us at Alocet)....Simply Accounting is really big up here.

In fact, up until this year, you would actually find nearly all Canadian accountants pushing Simply Accounting. We have always been trying to get our Canadian users on QuickBooks because we felt that eventually Simply would be crushed by Intuit, and to prepare them for it early (and because we link with QB ).

Very recently, Intuit bought out M.Y.O.B., which was also big up here. Together with a big advertising campaign, the shift seems to be happening. Accountants are all of the sudden recommending QuickBooks more and Simply Accounting less.

Steelcity - our recommendation - go with QB. It's only a matter of time now until your accountant will too be recommending it.

Paul Jackson