Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-02-2009, 05:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Grasshopper Mowers

I have been looking at the Zero turns and I like all the features on the grasshopper so I pretty sure thats what im going to buy. My only question is would it be worth the extra money for me to get a diesel engine. It will mainly be used for residential mowing. I have been looking at the 223 with the Kohler engine and 52" deck. Should I stick with the 223 or upgrade to a diesel. Any advice will be appreciated.
Old 04-02-2009, 05:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

This is a basic gas vs diesel issue. Diesel gives you more torque and fuel efficiency over gas. It may help when you are mowing tall/wet grass and it will last longer.

Cummins isn't spelled with a g!!!!!
Old 04-02-2009, 06:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

We have three Grasshopper's and have had great success with them, our newest is a Diesel (722D) and the mulching performance is awesome.

You'll probably save at least one third on fuel expense with the diesel vs. a comparable gas engine, this helps offset
the higher initial price and over time really adds up.

You can expect 5 to 10 thousand hours plus from the Kubota diesel vs. maybe 2 to 3 thousand or less from the Kohler.

If you plan to keep your machine(s) for a long time, I think the diesel is worth it (Kubota liquid-cooled gas engines are excellent also).

I'm planning for our Grasshoppers to serve 10 years in primary service and an additional 10 years in the backup
role (for us that's about 9 thousand hours total per machine), granted that's with good maintenance and keeping them under roof when not in use.

Bob
Lehighlawnpros
Old 04-02-2009, 06:53 PM
LawnSite Member

I have one of the Grasshopper Zeroturn pushmowers. I have had no problems at all and still runs and looks great!
Old 04-03-2009, 10:08 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the advice. Does anybody know about what the diesel mid mounts are going for? My dealer quoted me 7500 on the 223 with with 23 horse Kohler and 52" Deck. I know I have to step up to the 300 series to get the diesel and im just trying to get a price estimate before going back to the dealer.
Old 04-03-2009, 10:18 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Sorry to bust someone's bubble but 5,000 hours or more is pushing it on a small high speed diesel engine. 3,000+ is much more realistic, at at that point replacement cost is going to far outstrip the "savings" you get on fuel.

Where diesels shine on longevity is large heavy slow speed engines. Further a diesel will not mulch or cut any better than a gas engine will. The blades are spinning at the same fpm with either one.

Will it last longer than a gas engine? Most likely Will the operating costs be lower? Yes

But again the replacement cost wipes out those advantages and is also why mowers with high hour diesel engines should be avoided. The guy that put the 2,000 hrs on it got the benefits and is passing the back end costs on to you.
Old 04-03-2009, 10:33 AM
LawnSite Member

So kaferhaus do you recomend the 223 with 23 kohler or stepping up to the 300 series with a kubota diesel? It will be for residential use. I will be mowing my own lawn which is 4 acres once a week possibly some mowing for neighbors and surrounding area on weekends in the future.
Old 04-03-2009, 10:58 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

If your a home owner, go with the 223 gasser.
Old 04-03-2009, 11:05 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

For your application the 223 will be fine. And that price is pretty decent. I am not sure how much Grasshopper went up this year, but that was the price I was quoted last year for a new one. Ended up getting one the dealer had for a while for $6999.

With the catcher system on there the 23hp almost struggles at times going up hills or in really thick tall grass, but overall it does fine.

I think you will be happy with the Grasshopper. I love mine, it's the best mower I have ever had.

My picture thread:
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=374000
Old 04-03-2009, 11:15 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the help guys. Im definitely sold on the grasshopper brand I was just trying to find the best model. Like I said it will just be residential but I still want something thats going to last a very long time. Can someone explain the system on the grasshopper. My dealer was telling me first service is scheduled at 1000 hours. Its that for everything (other than greasing of course) or just certain things?