Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-01-2009, 10:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Kohler 23hp command charging system failure.

Asking this for my parents. They have a ZTR with a 23hp Kohler command, vert. shaft, 2001/2002 model year, that has quit charging the battery. It's not putting out power at all. They have to charge the battery with a charger to have power to keep the blade clutch engaged. Once the power in the battery runs down while mowing the clutch eventually won't stay on and he has to put the battery back on the charger and wait...

What's the charging system on these engines, where is it, and how do you replace it?

Thanks!
Old 04-01-2009, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

More than likely it is the voltage regulator which should be mounted to the side of the engine. Has 3 wires hooked to it. I have seen a couple 23hp have the magnets come loose from under the flywheel and trash the stator.
Old 04-06-2009, 11:22 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

With the key in the on position, engine not running, take a volt meter and see what the voltage is on the violet (center) wire at the voltage regulator. If it is zero you have a break in the wire or some connection problem between the voltage regulator and the battery. You should read battery voltage at the violet wire with the key in the on position.
Old 04-06-2009, 01:54 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Yah, start with the simple stuff. See if the battery is connected to the regulator as Vegetive said. If not, you could have a bad fuse. If you do have power there then next would be to check the AC voltage coming from the stator on the engine. This has to be done with the engine running. I dunno the exact specs without looking but 28VAC is probably close for the minimum with the engine running at 3600.

You can get a service manual for the engine at www.kohlerplus.com
Old 04-06-2009, 11:55 PM
LawnSite Member

I had to have a new flywheel because of the magnets coming off
Old 04-07-2009, 12:05 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I talked to my step-dad about the engine this weekend. I guess he already downloaded/printed out ALL of the service manuals for the engine and talked to all 3 kohler dealers in town, and still won't fix it. I guess they would rather b*tch about it not charging than just fix the damn thing! He said he was told it could be the voltage regulator or the stator, and HE said he was told there was no way to test for one of those.

I don't know, I thought I'd *try* to help... I even offered that I could pull the regulator off the side of the one I have and swap it out and see if that fixes it. He just retorted about how there was like 3 different voltage regulators for those and that his is a 22 hp and mine is a 23 hp. I'd bet dollars to donuts they are the same, and if they aren't no one is out anything for trying. I'll let him figure it out.
Old 04-07-2009, 10:06 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

There are ways to test both. There are procedures in the manual for testing the stator. Kohler makes(well has made) a tester for the regulators. However many dealers may not invest in the tester. It is really not needed since you can narrow it down pretty easily. If the stator is doing what it is supposed to do and the wiring is doing what its supposed to do, the regulator is the problem.

You could also look on www.kohlerplus.com to see if both your engines use the same Regulator. However I would do a stator test before hooking up your parts to his engine as if the stator is bad and has burned up the regulator....There is a chance you could burn up your regulator.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:22 PM
LawnSite Member

I have a 25 hp. is it the same ?
I'm lost here so I checked my fuses , replaced the regultor still no power ? so I looked here saw this now I checked the amps at the reg. with the key on . 000 so I think I need to replace the wire can i just re route it ? do i put a in line fuse in ? 20 - 25 amp ?
Old 05-01-2009, 04:04 AM
LawnSite Member

I have same problem on 2 different machines with 25 Kohlers. It wasnt the regulator so I assume it is the stator or as i have read missing magnets. I mounted a 875 amp car battery as a replacement for the small battery with some new cables and I can run all week with out a charge. Didnt fix the problem but seems to work fine.
Old 07-02-2014, 05:52 AM
LawnSite Member

I have a command pro 27hp. ch740s.0037. Same problem ,not charging. I put a new reg on and have continuity to the battery. still no chargy

I am guessing stator? Anyone know what stator it takes? I hear the magnets come off the flywheel some times and can be glued back on. Anything to this?