Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-03-2009, 10:34 AM
LawnSite Member

Employee incentives, etc.

I am searching/curious any incentives you business owners have set up for your employees (Ex. bonus programs, health insurance....etc.) Along with this what type of policies, structure do your employees follow on a day to day basis? I know these are vague questions, but Im looking for some incite on how you guys have things set up, whatever it may be for your business to run smoothly from day to day.

Any comments, information, or examples would be great!
Old 04-03-2009, 03:13 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I like to give year end bonus for anyone that stays till the last day. Works out great, because your non motivated workers will bail as soon as temps drop below freezing, usually a week or two early. I also give performance bonuses for exceptional service that leads to better margins on a week or job. I also keep these pretty tight lipped cause otherwise you have some that will drag their feet for a few weeks to get the year end or complain cause the other guy got a bonus and they didnt. I also will buy dinner or breakfast after a snow event. Occasional coffee in the morning. I also give a boot bonus. I had a guy do this for me years ago and it was nice. When you are making 10-12 an hour its hard to cough up an extra 80 bucks to get some boots sometimes. Instead they go to wally world and buy the $19.99 special. Then I have to hear for months how their feet hurt. Besides then there is no excuse to come to work in anything other than the required footware. I take everyone that has proved they will be around a while to the store and they all get boots.

Ive looked into healthcare and other options, but unless you are a large company it doesnt pay out at least in NJ. The yearly numbers were running just a little under their entire yearly earnings. No one has ever been excited about paying in 80% of their weekly earning to get family health care.
Old 04-04-2009, 10:09 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

dont make your program work, so that employees compete agaist each other.
this will cause fighting.

things like the above statement. and showing up every day, not being late. are always good ones
Old 04-04-2009, 06:00 PM
LawnSite Member

I was thinking of setting up a point system worth say 50 points/$50 dollars a month that goes down if you are late, damage equipment, dont fill our your time card acurately, or the daily job sheets. And along with this assess monthly for extra bonuses for exceptional service allowing us to complete any job faster.

I was hoping someone would have an example of a daily or weekly job sheet that the workers follow and record work completed on from a day to day basis. I have come up with multiple spreadsheets and such and they never have the proper area to write in and are hard to follow. Just looking for some ideas if anyone could help?!
Old 04-05-2009, 03:06 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

You should check with your state laws. Here it is illegal and you can not dock pay for damage or being late. They must be paid at a minimum their agreed wage for the time they are at work regardless of how well they do their job.
Old 04-05-2009, 03:30 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CK82 View Post
I was thinking of setting up a point system worth say 50 points/$50 dollars a month that goes down if you are late, damage equipment, dont fill our your time card acurately, or the daily job sheets. And along with this assess monthly for extra bonuses for exceptional service allowing us to complete any job faster.

I was hoping someone would have an example of a daily or weekly job sheet that the workers follow and record work completed on from a day to day basis. I have come up with multiple spreadsheets and such and they never have the proper area to write in and are hard to follow. Just looking for some ideas if anyone could help?!
Nah, that point system will just get confusing. Make bonuses and incentives spontaneous in most cases with a few exceptions(Work here 6 mnths to get boots, 1 yr for vacation time)

I usually give them out, if my helper is really pushing or we have to stay late. I'll just say, "If we finish this job today, I'll give you a bonus."

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that is how most pros do it.
T270 Shindaiwa Trimmer
RedMax Trimmer
M242 Shindaiwa Multi Use with pole saw & hedge trimmer
Echo PB620 BP Blower
EB 630 Shindaiwa BP Blower
14' Tandem Axle Trailer with racks
Old 04-05-2009, 11:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisianaLawnboy View Post
Nah, that point system will just get confusing. Make bonuses and incentives spontaneous in most cases with a few exceptions(Work here 6 mnths to get boots, 1 yr for vacation time)

I usually give them out, if my helper is really pushing or we have to stay late. I'll just say, "If we finish this job today, I'll give you a bonus."

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that is how most pros do it.
Coming from the MIS field, I once read an articule about employee thieft,

waking up to realize that all employees WILL STEAL FROM YOU, this tells me they need more. I have always given CASH to employees in certain situwations like you stated, when we have a Larger job that we have done well on. BAM they get a bonus.

when a person needs more money, like a situwation comes up in life, he needs money.

also we take a vacation EVERY YEAR. we useually go where it's warm.
"us being in TEXAS we like it HOT. so we useually have a VOTE.
last year I took them to PERU, and we hiked Machu Picchu.
taking the on vacations like this make's Everyone want to work for you.

and yes I still do the oldest trick in the book. I buy the lunch once or twice almost ever week.

come on guys, dont be CHEAP, share the welth.
Old 04-05-2009, 11:39 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohiaa View Post
come on guys, dont be CHEAP, share the welth.
Problem is (for us at least) the employees then think we are "friends" and abuse it.

Tried giving cash bonuses for jobs well done...they would just screw up the next week or decide to take a day off cause they have extra cash. Would purchase sandwichs/pizza for the afternoon or coffe/bagels in the morning a few times a week...they would then show up the next day and claim they thought we were buying again.

I've found the best approach to be I'm the employer and you are the employee.
Old 04-05-2009, 11:47 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LB1234 View Post
Problem is (for us at least) the employees then think we are "friends" and abuse it.

Tried giving cash bonuses for jobs well done...they would just screw up the next week or decide to take a day off cause they have extra cash. Would purchase sandwichs/pizza for the afternoon or coffe/bagels in the morning a few times a week...they would then show up the next day and claim they thought we were buying again.

I've found the best approach to be I'm the employer and you are the employee.
If you have those kind of employees, you need to fire them. I think Boheia has it right. Yes, if you give someone an unexpected bonus they will probably spend it having fun, they would have otherwise not had. By doing that though, you increase your morale. Increased morale=Increased efficiency
T270 Shindaiwa Trimmer
RedMax Trimmer
M242 Shindaiwa Multi Use with pole saw & hedge trimmer
Echo PB620 BP Blower
EB 630 Shindaiwa BP Blower
14' Tandem Axle Trailer with racks
Old 04-06-2009, 12:00 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisianaLawnboy View Post
If you have those kind of employees, you need to fire them. I think Boheia has it right. Yes, if you give someone an unexpected bonus they will probably spend it having fun, they would have otherwise not had. By doing that though, you increase your morale. Increased morale=Increased efficiency
No problem firing employees. Lord knows I've done plenty of it.