Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-08-2009, 09:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I don't have employees now (I like it that way) but have dealt with them in the past, hell I've even been one from time to time. The thing about employees is they will come to expect handouts if they don't have to go the extra mile to get it.

I personally believe that unless that person is doing something that is making your business more profitable (outside of what is expected) then why are you paying them more? A bonus for showing up on time in the proper clothing? NO! That is what they are paid their regular wage to do. How about if you show up on time wearing your uniform I'll let you work today?

What I have found to be effective is to give 'team' or 'crew' bonuses for above par efficiency and productivity. This is something that save you money therefore should be rewarded. By giving these incentives on a team basis, employees will work to motivate each other. Don't make it a competition as someone else pointed out, that causes hard feelings and bad moral.

Another thing to keep in mind is that incentives do not have to be monetary. Updated equipment and days off come to mind.
Old 04-09-2009, 10:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sometimes I will tell my guys that the project needs to get done in 5 days, and if we could get it done in 4 days I will still pay them for 5 and they could get the day off. Since I have scheduled in 5 days worth of labor for my guys, I am not losing anything what so ever. I am just getting the job done quicker and having the option to also take a day off or get ahead on the other estimates, designs, paperwork, equipment maintenance.

ICPI Certified Installer / NCMA SRW Installer
Rutgers University - Landscape Design
Brookdale Community College - Horticulture
Process of getting Irrigation License

2003 Ford F-350 4x4 Diesel
1996 Ford F-Super Duty Mason Dump 4x4 Diesel
A lot of fun tools to get the job done RIGHT!
Old 04-10-2009, 12:20 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
No problem firing employees. Lord knows I've done plenty of it.
Last year another LCO told me when I lettered my truck I needed to put my name on the drivers side and a ? on the passenger side He couldnt keep up with who was helping me