Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-05-2009, 10:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

HDR Photography Professionals?

I have been getting some pictures of our projects from the last couple of years and while I think they are above average, I want them to be unbelievable. Have any of you worked with a HDR professional or do you know of anyone that does HDR work with Exterior lighting? I have shared a definition of HDR, for those that have not heard of it.

High Dynamic Range (HDR) photography is the process of creating images in which the ratio between the maximum and minimum measurable light levels are higher than can normally be achieved during a single photographic exposure. HDR Tone Mapping is the process of transforming HDR photos into normal dynamic range photos, suitable for displaying on a computer monitor, television or for making a hard-copy print.
Old 04-05-2009, 10:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Here are a few HDR worked shots.
Attached Images

Old 04-06-2009, 01:26 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Although I am a fan of HDR photography and think that it is really cool, I do not think that you should use this technique (other than in passing, as a 'hook') for your lighting portfolio. It gives the images a 'rendered look', something that is beyond real, almost like a comic book look.

I dont have much of an issue with photomanipulating images in order to improve their appearance, but I think that your photos should reflect the look that you are capable of reproducing with the lighting system alone.

Save the HDR photos for other interests IMO

www.integralighting.com

www.facebook.com/INTEGRA.Lighting

Affiliations: IESNA, IALD, IDA, AOLP, LO, MBA
Old 04-06-2009, 08:25 AM
Sponsor

My layering techniques in photoshop are considered a manual type of HDR. I've tried to use photoshop's HDR processing that combine the layers automatically and produce a final image - that hasn't worked well at all. I understand that there's a program, Photomatix, that gives you more control over the result and I may try that.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:33 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Has anyone tried Apature on macintosh ? I am gettign my new mac desktop this week and will be getting it.

I do agree with James. Thoes pictures look surreal. While they are pleasing to the eye its just a bit over done.
Old 04-06-2009, 11:18 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

they look like vertically stitched, photo-shopped images!?? Cool looking though!
Old 04-06-2009, 12:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I am still looking for a HDR professional that has experience in the aspect of combining multiple exposures to create a final representation that is accurate with aspects to true visionary experience. This can be done in many programs that are available. I think you guys are seeing and commenting on some typical photo shop enhancements and that is not what I am looking for. If you know of someone please let me know.
Old 04-06-2009, 12:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Just for you James.
Attached Images

Old 04-06-2009, 12:25 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Again, that is just too surreal to my eye. It looks more like a painting than a photo and it is not really representative of what the eye would see.

I have a friend who does a lot of HDR photography, using photomatix, and the results are amazing. It is really cool to see the work he comes up with. However, it is not something that I would present in a portfolio of lighting projects. Doing the layering that Steve speaks of (George Gruel uses this technique too) is much more realistic in its output.

Regards.

www.integralighting.com

www.facebook.com/INTEGRA.Lighting

Affiliations: IESNA, IALD, IDA, AOLP, LO, MBA
Old 04-06-2009, 12:54 PM
LawnSite Member

I thought those first 4 pics were amazing. Excellent contrast and depth, color saturation and composure. I don't care who you are.* Good pictures sell your work!* The last pic Eddie posted was obviously an example of the extreme or (comic book)....I got it!