Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-03-2011, 09:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I truly can't wait until we have a shop. Worked 10 hours at our caseih dealership today and it was great. Took the Dawn row cleaners off the 16 row and also took the wavy coulters off the 24 row today. 16 of them are going with the 16 row, so we'll still have 8 of them as spares when we buy a 1790CCS to plant beans with in the future.

Today I started to tackle a challenging situation. Getting a Red square to fit in a green hole. There is very little in common between the 1250 early riser and 1770nt frames, so getting a pto pump kit for a 1250 to mount on the Deere frame was a challenge. I did a lot of measuring, and designing. Drew it all up, made the marks and sent it to a metal shop to be modified. While that was going on, I put together the rest of the kit. Case has some good directions, but horrible pictures in their instructions.

I was tickled pink when I got the piece back and stuck it on where I had marked and it fit perfectly!!! Victory is mine.

On the way home I passed a terrible accident in Williamsburg. That is a very dangerous interesction.

Well after a pretty intense facebook debate. It is now green. Scuffed the red paint up this morning with a slick little air buffer.

Welded it on and 2 coats of primer later

OK, rant time about John Deere. I got to the JD dealer,(right next door to our caseih dealer, AGCO is on the other side, NH around the corner) to get a can of green spray paint. Do you think they would have some of that? Well there is one on the shelf, I figure I'll need 2 so I go to the counter to get some more from out back. 10 minutes later he comes back oh we haven't got any of that. Goes on the computer, neither does their other store in the area. HUH?!?!?!?! So I head back to the cih dealer and ***** about this. They just laugh and take me to their parts department. Where they have boxes and boxes of red paint. But also 2 full cases of JD paint. MOMMA DEERE, if you are listening, it looks REALLY bad that your competition has to stock your parts to keep the farmers happy. OK, rant over.

Hit it with a coat of green. I think it turned out quite well.

Warren

Old 04-03-2011, 09:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Where are you located in eastern Ontario ?
Complete lawn care services
Old 04-03-2011, 09:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.Services View Post
how come you have the case dealer doing work on the deere tractor?

how come the rear tires seem to have low air pressure on the new holland? is that intentional so they flatten out a bit or is just the weight on them?

what exactly is the 3,000 worth of add on's for?
Yes, it is amusing that there is a green tractor pulling a green planter at the caseih dealer in the shop. Reason is we bought a cih pto powered hydraulic pump to run the Montag air cart so it is being installed there. So far I've done all the work to reduce the installation cost. Took a lot of modifying the kit to make it work on the Deere planter. I really enjoy the shop work though. Can't wait to have a shop of our own some day.

You are the second person to say the tires are low. I checked them, 20psi for road work in the fall. I'll be dropping them down to about 12psi for no-tilling beans this spring with the duals on. I think it is just how the tractor was sitting in the pic.

The black piece on the side of the row unit. There are five of them across the planter. Made by Precision planting. They are weigh cells that measure the down pressure on the depth wheels. This data is sent back to the Seed sense 20:20. The idea is to keep exactly 60pounds of force on those wheels no matter the soil type. So if the scale reads 80 pounds, the planter will automatically reduce the air pressure in the air bags to get back to the ideal 60 pounds. We thought we'd have to add on the weigh cells and wiring harness, but the planter came with it.

Warren

Old 04-04-2011, 06:23 AM
LawnSite Member

Warren,
Since when does Momma Deere care what people think about them? People have been griping about the dealers for a while on Agtalk and I haven't seen any evidence that Deere is taking notice. No I am wrong about that, there's a member on both here and Agtalk (Deereman85 I think) who seems to be noticing the gripes about Deere and doing his best to address the isssues. I would be willing to deal with him, except he's in Iowa and I'm in Mi and that's a heck of a long way for a service call.

Phill

PS you're running 12 PSI in the rears of a 8000 series for planting? Seems high to me. I finally got the dang 8410 I rented last year to quit power hopping when I dropped the rears to 8 PSI.
Old 04-04-2011, 07:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Votum Gardens LLC View Post
Warren,
Since when does Momma Deere care what people think about them? People have been griping about the dealers for a while on Agtalk and I haven't seen any evidence that Deere is taking notice. No I am wrong about that, there's a member on both here and Agtalk (Deereman85 I think) who seems to be noticing the gripes about Deere and doing his best to address the isssues. I would be willing to deal with him, except he's in Iowa and I'm in Mi and that's a heck of a long way for a service call.

Phill

PS you're running 12 PSI in the rears of a 8000 series for planting? Seems high to me. I finally got the dang 8410 I rented last year to quit power hopping when I dropped the rears to 8 PSI.
That tractor is heavy! 5160kg on the front axle, and 7250kg on the rear. Add on to that the weight of the planter and 12 will be pushing the limits of the tires. We are right at 110lbs/hp which is about ideal for transferring hp to the ground.

We had issues when the 8200 was new with power hopping. Keep adding weight and dropping the psi and it will stop.

Warren

Old 04-04-2011, 07:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Made some progress today.

Had to make a holder for the pump so it won't spin with the PTO.

Just need to route the hoses to the back.

Going to be running the Montag and air compressor in Series. Compressor will be powered on the return side.

Warren

Old 04-04-2011, 07:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I want to see the row cleaners, when are they scheduled to go on?

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 04-04-2011, 07:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

That's cool of the case dealer to let you use their shop to install the kit! Most dealers would never ever do that.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-04-2011, 08:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.Services View Post
That's cool of the case dealer to let you use their shop to install the kit! Most dealers would never ever do that.
Posted via Mobile Device
Well they were supposed to do the install, but would have only got to it next week. I need this done now so we can move it to the next dealer to get the air compressor and GPS equipment installed. The Green tractor and green planter in the case dealer has been getting a lot of attention.

Warren

Old 04-04-2011, 08:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Where are you located in Eastern Ontario??
Complete lawn care services