Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-08-2009, 06:25 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by punt66 View Post
Flower arrangment!! i got i got it. But you might ruin the vascular system. oh well. Your endless summer will do fine.
there ya go Punt! you finally admitted that your heavy handed techniques aren't what's b est for the plant.

we have to be careful with the information we put out on this and other boards. some unsuspecting homeowner comes on here, sees that you have been cutting lawns for over 15 years and takes your word as gold. different plants call for different situations. in this instance, with a recent transplant a severe, and more than likely unnecessary, cutback like this wasn't the best option. let the plant adjust to its new home and then PRUNE as needed.
Old 04-08-2009, 09:11 AM
LawnSite Member

heres my story, my parents house went up for sale due to the loss of my dad, i went and dug up hostas and the hydrangea, i need to figure out how to post pics, cause you should see the ball on this hydrangea, i made it especially big because i was transplanting , i would have preferred to have done it in late nov. but that wasnt the case. anyone with suggestions on how to transplant clematis!!!
Old 04-08-2009, 09:55 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The bull is bulling and the punter keeps punting! HA! To further this lively discussion, I also severely prune my oakleaf hydrangeas about every 3 years....
Attached Images

Old 04-08-2009, 10:58 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

BIG no no on the quercifolia. these should be pruned like any other woody ornamental (viburnum, andromeda, etc) or ornamental flowering tree (dogwood, pagoda, chaintree, etc)

I spoke to Baileys Nurseries, the people who invented endlass summer, blushing brides, etc. the woman with whom I spoke is in charge of the trials for these plants. She agrees that these should be PRUNED, if the plant is healthy, shape it some if needed but let it grow.* If there is obvious dead, take it out.

here is a link from her......
http://endlesssummerblooms.com/en/co...l/care/pruning

Be well!
Old 04-08-2009, 11:24 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

cool site. Never had a problem with treating the oakleaf that way, wouldn't do it if I wasn't sure of the root strength. (i.e. mature, established plants.)
Old 04-08-2009, 11:44 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

are you topping&heading these back, or reducing to proper laterals?

pics of them with no foliage?
Old 04-08-2009, 01:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBull View Post
there ya go Punt! you finally admitted that your heavy handed techniques aren't what's b est for the plant.

we have to be careful with the information we put out on this and other boards. some unsuspecting homeowner comes on here, sees that you have been cutting lawns for over 15 years and takes your word as gold. different plants call for different situations. in this instance, with a recent transplant a severe, and more than likely unnecessary, cutback like this wasn't the best option. let the plant adjust to its new home and then PRUNE as needed.
Creating a creative gaerden the way a person envisions takes heavy handed techniqes at times. Its not the same for all species across the board. I dont know about you but i plant endless summer hydrangea to produce flowers and lots of them. Forcing blooms and creating more new growth is essential for their look. If your more interested in plant "health" then your vision of what a garden needs or should look like then your garden wont become visially what it could be. Gardening is about manipulating, transplanting, and going for a vision. I can make an endless summer half pink and half blue with some half pink and half blue blooms in the middle by manipulating the soil. Its a tough plant and will do fine. Your argument about plant health is valid if the plant had issues. But forcing a healthy plant to do what you want it to do to create a beautiful garden is what gardening is thatall about. When my perenial beds are in full swing i will take pics and repost here to show you waht i have accomplished. I have even forced an apple tree to grow like a vine as a backdrop to a pond i installed. I had never done that before and had that vision and about 12 years ago tried it on that job. Every year i maintain it by pruning it and moving branches and i have created a screen of apple producing foliage that the customers can walk up to without a pole and pick and eat their apples.

SOLO OPERATION

Last edited by punt66; 04-08-2009 at 01:13 PM.
Old 04-08-2009, 01:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBull View Post

by the way that was sarcasm just incase you didnt pick up on it. Without visual clues sarcasm on paper can be missed easily. Happens to me often hahha

SOLO OPERATION
Old 04-08-2009, 04:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by punt66 View Post
by the way that was sarcasm just incase you didnt pick up on it. Without visual clues sarcasm on paper can be missed easily. Happens to me often hahha
THAT was too! i know you wouldnt admit to it....

What we have to remember is WE are trained pros with years of experience who know what a plant can and cant survive. Some of these young guys who mow and blow see what we do, and try it and end up spreading cancerous techniques. Worse yet are the poor homeowners who see these remarks and take them as gold......then they start hedge trimming their jap maples, and dogwoods because they see some idiot doing it to the arbovitae!
Old 04-09-2009, 08:20 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Bull, no pics but I'll try to shoot one, as last fall they were cut back. I noticed yesterday that they are just starting to break dormancy. The lawns are all kickin' in so been busy. Punt here's a pic from last summer of my front from the street, taken around mid june?
Attached Images