Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-07-2009, 06:22 PM
LawnSite Member

License for Garden Design & Installation?? Los Angeles..

Hi,

I work on commercial and residential projects here in Los Angeles. I have a sole proprietorship and liability insurance for my business, but my question is do I need to have a landscape contractor license or other if I am only subcontracting labor for installation? Or is a city business license enough?
Many thanks for any input!
Old 04-08-2009, 12:58 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

My guess would be yes - but find out for sure.

I served 2 terms on Oregon's Landscape Contractors Board, and I recall California virtually mirroring Oregon in many respects.

In Oregon, if I hire a subcontractor for anything, they have to be licensed for that phase for which they are doing.

Because it all boils down to contracting, or offering one's self as having the science, knowledge or skill to do landscaping.

Up here, no license is needed for landscape design as long as construction details are not included on the plan, and the plan is "conceptual".

Let us know what you find out, because I'd like to know what the current requirement is.

I just saw the Los Angeles area for the first time about a year and a half ago. Looked like there were a lot of great looking plants and trees. If I was single and young, I'd entertain the idea of spending a few years down there. Just a few years though.

Coast Redwoods . . . Landscaping Portland & Tree Service . . . M. D. Vaden Photography

http://www.lawnsite.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=9938&dateline=1262369890