Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-07-2009, 07:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Mulch bid to high?

Ok I got 2 different kinds of mulch I need to spread at a house.

The first one is pine nugget cost per yard. $28.00 I have 4 yards to spread pine nugget. So I charged them 75 a yard which comes to total cost of $300 for the pine nugget job.

Moving on to the next mulch is Oak Birch need 3 yards of that at the cost of $19 a yard I Charged them $65 a yard to spread which would come out to be $195 Which is $495 total with $20 delievary fee with come out to be $515. The total Sq ft is 1182. To high or to low?
John Deere WB 48''
5x8 Trailer
Chevy Colorado Z71 4x4
Old 04-07-2009, 07:59 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Your leaving out just about every factor needed to answer your question.
Old 04-07-2009, 08:03 PM
LawnSite Member

I Get triple shredded root and for 21.99 and i charge 100 a yard around my way the going rate is 85 to 110 a yard
Old 04-07-2009, 08:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Spreadin' pretty thin aren't you? Seems like you'd need more mulch unless there's a lot of large shrubs/plants to go around.

Bottom line is, how long with this take? Long or short wheelbarrow trips, lots of plants to go around, needs edged, ect..????
Old 04-07-2009, 08:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Yes some will need to be edged wheel barrow is close in spots will have to make about 4 runs to get all the mulch I need Trailer only holds 2 yards I would say I will be there for about 6 hours maybe 8. Will be doing it my self.
John Deere WB 48''
5x8 Trailer
Chevy Colorado Z71 4x4
Old 04-07-2009, 11:19 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by red12 View Post
Yes some will need to be edged wheel barrow is close in spots will have to make about 4 runs to get all the mulch I need Trailer only holds 2 yards I would say I will be there for about 6 hours maybe 8. Will be doing it my self.
think about what you are saying...run some simple numbers and figure out just how little you are going to make on this job.
Old 04-08-2009, 12:20 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Power barrow, your friends will be soooo jealous.

You don't carry that load no more, all you do is steer and hit the throttle.
It does not get tired.

And you know it ain't cheap...
Attached Images

Last edited by topsites; 04-08-2009 at 12:26 AM.
Old 04-08-2009, 12:45 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topsites View Post
Power barrow, your friends will be soooo jealous.

You don't carry that load no more, all you do is steer and hit the throttle.
It does not get tired.

And you know it ain't cheap...
I want one!
Old 04-08-2009, 01:29 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by red12 View Post
Red, your prices are kind of low for our area. If you can deliver and spread that mulch in six hours you will be working for $57.16 per hour, minus costs abovve the mulch costs you listed. Unless you can get your truck right up to the majority of the area you are mulching, I think you are in for an 8 to ten hour day.
At ten hours it comes to $34.50 an hour. So your bid may not be low, but it is certainly not too high.

I also calculate that you will be applying less than an inch, that means tossing, and that takes time.

Only you can say if what you make from this job is a good deal for you. Only you know how much time you have in selling the job, and what it takes to get it done, but it sounds to me like your customer is getting steak for hamburger price.

I keep finding that customers will buy two to three inches of mulch if you tell them that more is better for preventing weeds, and that three inches will last through the year. Also people like the look of mulch, and they know how much money they have so when I tell them the price per yard and how many yards it will take for three inch coverage, they spend the money.

I hope you are right about the six hours, cause if it was me, 57.16 per hour is fine, and 34.50 per hour is not good enough this time of year.
Old 04-08-2009, 06:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Well I think I could of done it in 6 hrs I would say the farthest the trailer would of been is about 100ft or so but I doesnt matter now. I went over to cut the grass today and they turned me down I gess they was thinking it was to high they said they would have the grand kids do it for mothers day or something. I was cutting them a deal cause they are my sister inlaws grandparents I knocked off about 100 to 200 dollars off the bill oh well I dont care to spread pine nugget anyways. I gess when I see it get done all I can do is laugh at how crappy of a job they did. I was going to make over $300 off this job.
John Deere WB 48''
5x8 Trailer
Chevy Colorado Z71 4x4