Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-08-2009, 10:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Need some help/sugestions with landscaping

I need an idea of how to minimize the impact of the fire hydrant in the landscape without affecting the use of the hydrant, and maybe any ideas of design in general, because believe it or not the owners are not real happy with who ever did the original job. I know there's some really talented landscapers on the site so thank you for any help.
Attached Images

Old 04-08-2009, 10:18 PM
LawnSite Member

yuck

yuck. I wouldnt be happy with that landscaping either. What are all those grasses? weeds? horribly placed.
Old 04-08-2009, 10:51 PM
LawnSite Member

I would remove all those grasses/weeds and probably plant some low maintanence shrub or plant. That should draw attention away from the hydrant. Also, maybe get either lighter color stones and blend with existing stone or maybe even get some large rocks and place them randomly throughout. Good Luck..
Old 04-08-2009, 11:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Tell the owners that if they dont have you come back every so often it is going to look like that all over again,no matter what you plant.

That hasn't been sprayed in a year,easy.

Tell them they need to take care and maintain it,its not a "set it and forget it" type of situation.

Oh,and the rocks.

Don't we all just love something that is 5x as labor intensive than mulch,and doesnt work as well to keep weeds in check.

I was going to say pull the stuff off and lay some fabric,but with those little dead weights that is a lot of work.
Old 04-09-2009, 03:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigslick7878 View Post
Tell the owners that if they dont have you come back every so often it is going to look like that all over again,no matter what you plant.

That hasn't been sprayed in a year,easy.

Tell them they need to take care and maintain it,its not a "set it and forget it" type of situation.

Oh,and the rocks.

Don't we all just love something that is 5x as labor intensive than mulch,and doesnt work as well to keep weeds in check.

I was going to say pull the stuff off and lay some fabric,but with those little dead weights that is a lot of work.
I think he was talking boulders, not stones or gravel.

"A well-regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."
Old 04-09-2009, 05:47 PM
LawnSite Member

That is a commercial zoned parking lot. Plant all you want. When winter arrives, the snow will be shoved on top of the plantings. If shrubs are planted, damage is inevitable. Ornamental grass (low), day lilies and stone/boulders is my suggestion.
Old 04-09-2009, 09:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cudaclan View Post
That is a commercial zoned parking lot. Plant all you want. When winter arrives, the snow will be shoved on top of the plantings. If shrubs are planted, damage is inevitable. Ornamental grass (low), day lilies and stone/boulders is my suggestion.
How about a line of single trunk trees. They can push the snow around them, with minimal damage, Then, in the large area, far away from the curb line, a planting bed. Maybe something raised. You could probably do it, and leave the same stone there, just take some Round-up to all that greenery. Drop a boulder here and there for effect.

Look in some books for Urban trees, look for species that are more salt tolerant.

And I have to thank Cudaclan for putting that thought in my head.
Old 04-10-2009, 01:07 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the help guys.
Old 04-10-2009, 06:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cudaclan View Post
Wow! I have been on this site for about two years and read some real questionable answers to some questions but your answer to this question is right on. It does not happen to often but I knew there were more then one experienced landscaper on this site.
Old 04-10-2009, 07:34 PM
LawnSite Member

So you guys are saying to plant hardy grasses, and boulders, and any ideas with what to do with that edge that runs along the sidewalk? Thanks again, and if I get the bid I'll post some after pics to see how I do.