Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-09-2009, 07:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Stihl FS52 weedeater question

Is the FS52 a straight shaft? I see one listed at an upcoming yard sale ad but no number to call ahead.
Old 04-09-2009, 08:11 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

FS52 is a curved shaft. I have one and wish I could find another 1 or 2. I don't like the newer ones. The older one which I have has been rebuilt a couple times.
I just prefer the balance and the counter-clockwise head rotation.
Old 04-09-2009, 10:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtandhoops View Post
FS52 is a curved shaft. I have one and wish I could find another 1 or 2. I don't like the newer ones. The older one which I have has been rebuilt a couple times.
I've never seen a weedeater that DIDN'T rotate counter-clockwise. Am I missing something here?
Old 04-09-2009, 10:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan_Deere View Post
I've never seen a weedeater that DIDN'T rotate counter-clockwise. Am I missing something here?
straight shaft trimmers and curved shaft trimmers rotate in different directions...
Old 04-09-2009, 10:48 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by powernoje View Post
straight shaft trimmers and curved shaft trimmers rotate in different directions...
I wouldn't argue with you except ...........I've bought several Stihl string trimmers and the newer Stihl engines rotate clockwise even in the curved shafts. That's why I keep rebuilding my earlier Stihls because I have such a hard time using the ones that are clockwise. I'm too old to learn new tricks.
Old 04-09-2009, 11:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
I wouldn't argue with you except ...........I've bought several Stihl string trimmers and the newer Stihl engines rotate clockwise even in the curved shafts. That's why I keep rebuilding my earlier Stihls because I have such a hard time using the ones that are clockwise. I'm too old to learn new tricks.
What you are saying doesn't make sense. After powernoje's post, I went and looked at some of my trimmers. All of the straight shaft rotate counter-clockwise, and all of the curved shaft rotate clockwise. So if Stihl has gone to only clockwise in all their trimmers, that means the straight shaft are the ones that changed, not the curved shaft.
Old 06-19-2011, 08:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Old thread, I know... But I just revived an old FS52 that I've had, but never started in over ten years, until today. Was going to pull the engine and swap it with another old FS44 so I'd have a straight shaft. The piston, rings and cylinder walls look great. I just can't seem to get the needle valves happy enough. If you're willing to either come get it, or ship it over, you can just have it.

It starts and runs, idles for a few mins then eventually dies out. Exhaust screen is clean. Also pulled the fuel filter off, just to troubleshoot that: The original filter had disintegrated completely. Cleared the line, backflushed it too. Pulled carb apart and cleaned it all. Looks good, just can't seem to get needles right. Great compression for such an old machine really. It's a good runner, I just suck with needle valves.

Yours if you want it.
Old 06-19-2011, 09:01 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Thanks for the offer but in the meantime I have come up with a couple older ones to fix up. Regards.
Old 06-19-2011, 09:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Not a problem. I find older machines almost every day and rather than seeing them end up in scrap piles, I try to revive them. Most of them need nothing. I just think that every time I pull an old machine out of the pile and save it, that may just save somebody scouring ebay for parts because they are in love with that old model for some reason. I want nothing out of it other than being able to see an old machine being used once again for what it was made for, rather than being crushed and melted down.

We still use old Echo's every day that I've pulled from the scrap pile and started right up.

Any other old stuff you or somebody you know would like to get ahold of, hit me up. I just want to see it used again.
Old 06-20-2011, 04:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Hey man. I have a FS 52 that is about shot. I would like to get this off of you. How much would you be willing to sell it for. Thanks in advance.