Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-11-2009, 11:17 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Cell phones and phone book listings

I am seriously considering adding a cell phone to my current plan to use as my primary business phone. Currently I have a land-line that runs me about $60 a month depending on long distance. It basically serves as an answering service since I am rarely around to answer it. The account has caller id so I know who calls me. The majority of calls are telemarketers and my regular customers are usually surprised if I answer! In the last few years, my "personal" cell number has been circulated too much. It is nice for people to be able to get in touch with me while I'm out in the field but I need to curb its intrusion in my "after hours" life.

I can add another phone to my cell plan for $10/month and transfer the current office number to that phone. I can easily move my fax machine (which doesn't get used that much anyway) to my house phone. My only real dilemma is what to do about my listings in the yellow/white pages! I do not advertise in the yellow pages. My business line comes with a "free" listing, i.e. My Company...#. This appears in the yellow pages and in the white pages. In this market (small by any standards) people still use the phone book to find numbers of businesses, but extra advertising is not cost effective for this industry in this area. Is there any way to get a listing without paying much, if anything for a cell phone number in either the YP or WP??

Any other thoughts on this plan??
Old 04-11-2009, 02:38 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

if your "adding" the cell just use both?

trucks
mowers
stuff

Sig Sauer Sercurity
Old 04-11-2009, 04:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

60 bucks a month for a landline????

I pay 25.00 and no long distance fees through my cable company.
Old 04-11-2009, 10:29 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I market just one phone number. I think it will be difficult for your customers and potential customers to make the switch.
T270 Shindaiwa Trimmer
RedMax Trimmer
M242 Shindaiwa Multi Use with pole saw & hedge trimmer
Echo PB620 BP Blower
EB 630 Shindaiwa BP Blower
14' Tandem Axle Trailer with racks
Old 04-12-2009, 12:10 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I wouldn't do it. Cell phones as a primary line are (in my opinion) unprofessional. I would suggest you get rid of caller ID and anything else that is not necessary (Who cares who called? If it was important they would have left a message.).
Do you guys give out your cell #'s to customers? I go to great lengths to keep mine a secret. I don't want my customers to see me yacking it up with other homeowners while I am on thier time.
Old 04-12-2009, 12:17 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bru75 View Post
I wouldn't do it. Cell phones as a primary line are (in my opinion) unprofessional. I would suggest you get rid of caller ID and anything else that is not necessary (Who cares who called? If it was important they would have left a message.).
Do you guys give out your cell #'s to customers? I go to great lengths to keep mine a secret. I don't want my customers to see me yacking it up with other homeowners while I am on thier time.
My cell phone line right now is my home, cell, and biz #. I also have a landline. I plan on eventually getting me another cell phone for my personal use.
T270 Shindaiwa Trimmer
RedMax Trimmer
M242 Shindaiwa Multi Use with pole saw & hedge trimmer
Echo PB620 BP Blower
EB 630 Shindaiwa BP Blower
14' Tandem Axle Trailer with racks
Old 04-12-2009, 12:33 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisianaLawnboy View Post
My cell phone line right now is my home, cell, and biz #. I also have a landline. I plan on eventually getting me another cell phone for my personal use.
Getting a second line for personal use makes sense to me, you've got to be off-duty sometime.
My point about cell's for business is that, at least here, cell #'s have a different prefix than landlines. People can see that the number is a cell phone, and that may not give them the idea that you are a professional, stable company. Maybe I'm old fashioned.
Old 04-12-2009, 07:37 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I though it was clearer in my original post. I would be getting rid of the "land line" BUT switching that phone number over to my wireless provider. Customers would not see a difference. They would call the same phone number to call the "office" and that number is a local "land line" number, so essentially, no one would know it was a cell phone. The main question from my post was, how can I get my number to continue to be listed in the local phone directories, after it becomes a cell phone number and not through the local phone company??
Old 04-12-2009, 08:35 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyStew View Post
I though it was clearer in my original post. I would be getting rid of the "land line" BUT switching that phone number over to my wireless provider. Customers would not see a difference. They would call the same phone number to call the "office" and that number is a local "land line" number, so essentially, no one would know it was a cell phone. The main question from my post was, how can I get my number to continue to be listed in the local phone directories, after it becomes a cell phone number and not through the local phone company??

I dont think you can take a landline # and switch it to a cell carrier. You may want to look into that.
Old 04-12-2009, 10:37 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IN2MOWN View Post
I dont think you can take a landline # and switch it to a cell carrier. You may want to look into that.
I have and you can.