Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-12-2009, 12:03 PM
LawnSite Member

I transfered my office phone to a cell phone (and added it to my current plan for $20 a month)... Saves me about $15 a month, and when 6pm roles around, I just turn that phone off so callers will go straight to voicemail... I also find it a huge advantage to be able to take it on the road with me. I have picked up serveral clients because I was the first person to show up and give an estimate (which I wouldn't have been if I didn't get the message until later that night).

There are also some cell phones that will let you use 2 lines, so you would only have to carry one cell phone... although I prefer two phones.

Also, just a note because there was some confusion with the morons at the cell phone store when I ported the land line over to a cell... it takes about a week to port the number, unlike porting a cell phone to another cell carrier which only takes a few minutes. Your land line will continue to work like normal until just seconds before the phone number switches to the cell... so you will have no down time with that number.
Old 04-12-2009, 01:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Check into a virtual line. I pay $12 a month and have that line transferred to my cell phone. No equipment to install or any hassle to deal with!
Old 04-12-2009, 04:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyStew View Post
I though it was clearer in my original post. I would be getting rid of the "land line" BUT switching that phone number over to my wireless provider. Customers would not see a difference. They would call the same phone number to call the "office" and that number is a local "land line" number, so essentially, no one would know it was a cell phone. The main question from my post was, how can I get my number to continue to be listed in the local phone directories, after it becomes a cell phone number and not through the local phone company??
I don't have a clue, but would be surprised if the phone company would allow a listing from another provider.
Old 04-12-2009, 04:35 PM
LawnSite Member

My main cell # is my biz line. I do not think anyone cares anymore if its a land line or a cell as long as a human answers. My land line is my private residence line and do not give it out to any customers.

I honestly got into this by accident and it has taken on a life of its own,

http://www.kagconstruction.com/
Old 04-19-2009, 01:18 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I dont think they mind seeing a cell as a number. Many guys around here use their cells as the main line.

I think it gives you an advantage because you are answering their call, and not calling back later in the evening.

www.Outdoors-Unlimited.net

www.facebook.com/Outdoors.Unlimited
Old 04-19-2009, 01:59 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hey, whatever works for you!
For me, I hate having to stop work, shut off machines, go to the truck for a pen and paper, ask my new prospective customer to repeat themselves because a truck just drove by all for something that in all likelyhood is not an emergency and could easily wait until I get to the office. Not to mention that I'm on the clock for an existing customer.
My cell is for emergencies, family, and suppliers, period.
I return all calls as soon as I can. I don't believe I have ever lost a job by calling back in the evening, in fact many people thank me for getting back to them so fast.

Last edited by Bru75; 04-19-2009 at 02:04 AM.
Old 04-19-2009, 02:05 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyStew View Post
I have and you can.
We have done this also, with no problems.