Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-12-2009, 12:22 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Take or leave grass clippings and leaves

I do not have any where to put leaves or grass clippings other then in my yard waste cans (I have 8 39 gallon containers) . But I think it is unprofessional to leave bags of yard waste at coustomers houses. What should I do
Ferris 32
Toro 21
Redmax BCZ2401s, Redmax HE225f, Redmax EBZ7100 Kawasaki KRB300
1999 Honda Oddsey
6X10 trailer
Old 04-12-2009, 04:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Learn to manage turf growth. Lower nitrogen Lower water Sharpen mower blades and mow less often. Check out the sustainable landscaping initiativie from the U.S. Department of Agriculture
Mulch when possible. Find a place to compost what is collected. Learn to compost and make your fertilizer. Learn to recover the niotrogen spread by others. Green grass clippings from fertlizers and/or rain fall. The atmosphere is 78% nitrogen.
I don't know much about you or the situation you are in.
I have a paper at howtoweedeat.com/FUTURE you might find parts of it intresting
Old 04-12-2009, 10:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowerdude777 View Post
I do not have any where to put leaves or grass clippings other then in my yard waste cans (I have 8 39 gallon containers) . But I think it is unprofessional to leave bags of yard waste at coustomers houses. What should I do
Done it both ways. I too do not like leaving bags on the curb of customers houses. I used to take all of it with me from every account every week. This was costing me quite a bit to dispose of, let alone the labor involved. I talked to each customer before the 2008 season about the issue. Not a single one had a problem with the bags at their curb. None of them. Talk to your customers. If they find it offensive. Take them with you. I dont think you will have many that will. It is more professional to take it with you. I did it for years. Each customer does pay for trash removal though. If they have no objection, you may as well use it. On a side not. I do take anything that will not fit in a bag, with me.
Old 04-12-2009, 10:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Mulch, mulch, mulch, mulch, mulch, mulch, mulch............................................................................................... .................................................................................................... .................................................................................................... ............................................mulch................................................... .................................................................................mulch

Get the idea?
Old 04-12-2009, 10:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowerdude777 View Post

I take the clippings on propertys that I bag, which are allot. Anyways I have to pay to dump the clippings because of this shitty area I live in. There are no compost sites with a reasonable distance. You also have to find out if it is illegal to leave clippings at the curb, being that you are a contractor.

I have allot of nice propertys that you can't mulch because we all know clippings get in mulch beds etc, no matter how good of an operator you are.
Some propertys are just too tight. You can start to mulch later in the year when the grass has slowed down from the heat, drought, etc.
Old 04-12-2009, 10:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Talking

man I'm lucky, I always take the clippings if i bag, I've got a good sized burn pit that i throw them in.
Old 04-12-2009, 11:02 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

you can NOT mulch the cool grass up here in the spring and have it look good unless you mow every 2-3 days. im sure if you check around you wil find some place to take it. around here alot of the nurseries take it for compost, there are also a few places that are recycle centers for yard waste, i am able to dump my 1 ton dump either for free at 2 places $10 at one place and $15 at another just depends what part of town im in when i need to dump. usually grass all goes to the free places just during leaf season i have to dump a couple times a day.

Dont leave the debris at the customers house either besides being very unprofessional you can start problems between your customer and their trash company, by all rights the trash company can refuse to take it because it was generated by a contractor not the homeowner.

join us on FACEBOOK www.facebook.com/ClarkLawnMaint
Old 04-13-2009, 10:39 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

benifits of not removing the clippings...

we dont bag lawns.. except for spring and fall cleanups...

explain to the customers why bagging removes nutrients from the lawn, that side discharging will allow them to need less fertilizer.....during the spring growth, i would rather double cut a lawn... then bag it.... faster, looks better.. and no worries about disposel of clippings....
6 full time
Old 08-19-2009, 01:28 PM
LawnSite Member

I work that out with them before I start their service. I have a different price for mulching, bagging & bagging and take with me. All the customers that I have that want the grass bagged, have no problem with me leaving it for their trash. During the heat of the summer, I do not bag, just mulch to geep the grass rich and strong.
Old 08-20-2009, 09:28 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I will now if it is under 2 bags, my trash guyswill take any amount of trash or yard wast at the curb, I did a massive job last year for a neighbor, and the amount of yard waste was insane, 100 bags, 6 bundles og brush, they took every bit of it
Ferris 32
Toro 21
Redmax BCZ2401s, Redmax HE225f, Redmax EBZ7100 Kawasaki KRB300
1999 Honda Oddsey
6X10 trailer