Register free!

Old 04-27-2009, 10:32 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I had to tilt, push, pull, turn on its side... everything you could think of to get my aerator back there... I thought there were regulations on gates...
Old 05-23-2009, 10:55 PM
LawnSite Member

any updates?
Old 05-23-2009, 11:13 PM
Sponsor

Yes,

We are going to make 2 sizes. Both will have some very unique features.

We should have the small one ready to go for testing (field test units) in about 3-4 weeks. I have met with some the of lawnsite members in person for input on the design.

It should do very well like our other products.

David
Old 05-24-2009, 10:09 AM
Sponsor

OK, I'll jump in here folks. Obviously, we have been selling Eco Lawn Appicator for some time. I'll address each one of your criteria individually....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prolawnservice View Post

1. I would want it to be maneuverable, in to tight areas and back out again easily, easy to turn even when fully loaded.

OK, Eco-Lawn does this all with the exception of a reverse gear, which I found you really don't need. Even fully loaded, it turns easily. This would add significantly to the cost.
2. Controls all where they can be reached while in use. Something that can spread even the wettest compost, evenly(for the most part) without bridging.

Eco-Lawn's controls are all within easy reach of the handle bar.

Let's talk about wet anerobic compost. Wet/sodden compost should not be used for top dressing. Water displaces oxygen which will kills much of the good biology. Using waterlogged compost partialy defeats the purpose of using it in the first place. Dont but wet material. Insist that your supplier covers and turns when needed so the compost stays no more that 50% moisture.

Eco-Lawn can handle all moisture levels, but for sure, you are comprimizing efficiency above 65% moisture. The compost can bridge beyond that. The challange is to balance the weight on the conveyor as opposed to size of the motor. If the hopper has straight sides, there is too much weight on the conveyor, and the motor will bog down. If it's sloped too little, it would bridge excessively. The Eco-Lawn folks have balanced that ratio perfectly (after much prototyping).

3. Readily available, common, easy to change parts.

Except for the frame, differential, hopper and shrouds, all parts are readily available in a good auto parts store.4. A decent warranty and a manufacture that will go the extra mile and stand behind their product 100%.

I havent experienced breakage on the dozens of units that we've sold, except for once on a dolly wheel, which was replaced withing 5 days by the mfgr.
5. Able to be loaded easily, short enough if a dump bed is tilted that it could fit under, and have the compost knocked down into it.

Eco-Lawn fits this criteria. Any lower, and you would have to design the machine wider and/or longer. This would comprimize fitting through gates and maneuverability.
6. Powder coated or a very durable paint, so it doesn't look too shabby after a short amount of use.

Our demo (w/79 hours) looks very good. We actually use it for real jobs and a demo at trade shows.7. Durable everything else so it lasts, grease fittings, ball bearings, heavier gauge metal where its needed, etc...

Eco-Lawn is built to be maintained. Most of the bearings are easily accessible pillow blocks, the others standard grease zerks. We have not broken any welds or stressed the frame after abusing (overloading) it repeatedly on steep ground.

8. Honda engine, or a small reliable diesel.

5.5 Horse Honda w/ 6:1 gear deduction....standard on all equipment we sell. Never an issue with these motors.
Toll Free (844) 266-9375
Certified Soil Foodweb Advisor
"Products, Service and Support for Ecological Land Care"
Old 05-24-2009, 01:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Just a thought, why not a blower machine instead of spreader? I think if you could make a machine that can hold a decent amount and it be able to just blow the compost. It might be a little less, labor & time.
Old 05-24-2009, 02:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOL View Post
Just a thought, why not a blower machine instead of spreader? I think if you could make a machine that can hold a decent amount and it be able to just blow the compost. It might be a little less, labor & time.

Could you use the same machine that blows mulch?
Old 05-24-2009, 05:55 PM
LawnSite Member

Working on a deal now with a local company out of Tampa that blows mulch. This is why I mentioned that, because if all goes well I should be watching that compost just spit out of these machines.

But if someone out there could make an affordable piece of equipment like that, It would be sweet.
Old 05-24-2009, 07:35 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOL View Post
But if someone out there could make an affordable piece of equipment like that, It would be sweet.
Especially if it didn't have to be it's own 80k vehicle....
Old 05-25-2009, 12:19 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBJH View Post
I bought an ecolawn spreader last year and it worked pretty well, 100times better than shovel and wheel barrow. It had a few weak points in design and durability but overall i was pretty satisfied with productivity. If i would change anything i would make it a little bigger and beefier, commercial grade, possibly a 1 yard hopper and hydro drive for sure. What i am interested in this year is a better way to get compost into spreader. Shovels work ok for smaller jobs but i have a 120k lawn that i put 50-60 yards down and we currently rent/borrow a skidsteer to load hopper but i am thinking a blower system, like a heavy duty leaf sucker might be the ticket. Maybe a little 5-10 hp motor and an intake hose to put into pile or trailer and an outlet hose to fill hopper. I have no experience with these blowers so i don't know how well they would work. Finn has a full blown trailer that can handle bark mulch but i am thinking portable unit and less $$$.
How much did the eco lawn run you?

Looks pretty nice and am thinking about picking one up if its reasonable.

I'm not trying to drop 7k on one like the nicer units.
Old 05-25-2009, 02:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

cant wait to see the new machine
can you make it aerate at the same time?