Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Closed Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 10:52 AM
LawnSite Member

Worth repairing or sticking with what I already have?

Hey everyone, I just picked up a free Bunton B52-125K WB with a Kawi FB460V yesterday morning. Needs some engine repair or replacement. Mower itself seems to be in pretty good shape.

I have a thread in the repair section getting some advice on the repairs that it will need. I realized I should have probably started out here and asked if its even worth taking the project on in the first place.

I mow my 2 acres right now with a JD L118 (42" deck). It takes a good bit of time to mow. My thought was to keep an eye out for something bigger.

*With out a sulky, how much will this Bunton really reduce mowing time over the JD? I know the obvious additional 10" cut I'll get with the Bunton, but I'm talking power and speed, will I really be able to cut that much faster over all in the long run? I'm in good shape and up for a brisk walk while mowing, so keep that in mind.

*If I can mow a lot faster, will I be getting myself into a maintenance situation with an outdated mower that will take up what ever time I save with the wider mower in the first place? Again, I can fix a lot...but I'm just a handy DIY'er type learning as I go, so repairs take me longer to do at first.

I'm not so sure its worth spending the time and $ fixing it up when I already have a running mower that is in good shape (L118). Even though it take me a while to mow, I'm thinking I'm better off sticking with it and just saving up for a bigger tractor a year or 2 from now.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance guys!
Old 04-14-2009, 10:57 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Without a sulky it will take longer. Can you walk as fast as you ride the JD? If so, then you'll get done faster for obvious reasons. Spending the money to fix the WB up could cost more then a used in good running condition WB.
Old 04-14-2009, 11:00 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

One other thing to consider. The WB won't allow you to pull anything like a small wagon or other attachments that a rider would. For a home owner, it would be more beneficial to have a tractor style mower. If your not concerned about any of that and WANT a WB, then ultimately it's your call.
Old 04-14-2009, 02:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I hope you got the mower cheap, because I have nothing but bad things to say about the 460v engines. It will DEFINITELY go faster with a sulky, unless you don't mind running/walking fast for 2 acres. As Greg said, you can probably ride the Deere faster than you can walk the WB. GL
'06 Exmark TT 60" Kohler 20hp
'06 Exmark TT 60" Kawasaki 22hp
'04 Ferris 52" Kawasaki 23 hp w/ Trac Vac
'98 Exmark Metro 36" Kawasaki 14 hp
Toro 21" Proline Mowers
Kawasaki Trimmers
Redmax Blowers
Shindaiwa LE261 Edger
Stihl KM110 Powerhead with attachments
Kawasaki Hedge Trimmer
Old 04-14-2009, 06:58 PM
LawnSite Member

OK, I heard back from the guy I got the mower from. He said the shop told him the valve seats were bad.
Old 04-14-2009, 07:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would get another engine. That is what I am in the process of doing. I actually bought a used 460v from a guy, put a ton of time and work into it and it wouldn't stay running. Man was I pissed. I got the guy to take it back though. I pretty much swore to myself that I wouldn't buy another one unless it was brand new.

However, I have the OHV model (FC420V) on my ExMark and absolutely love it.

Anyway, my 460v just basically died on me. I replaced both intake and exhaust valves, the coil, and then I find out that it is probably the camshaft. I've had enough of that piece of crap engine.

I wouldn't put the valves in if I were you. I'm not saying it will be the same story for you, but if the valves are bad, then it probably has a lot of hours on it, and everything will start wearing out.

I'm looking for a Kohler Command to put on mine, but that's just personal preference. GL
'06 Exmark TT 60" Kohler 20hp
'06 Exmark TT 60" Kawasaki 22hp
'04 Ferris 52" Kawasaki 23 hp w/ Trac Vac
'98 Exmark Metro 36" Kawasaki 14 hp
Toro 21" Proline Mowers
Kawasaki Trimmers
Redmax Blowers
Shindaiwa LE261 Edger
Stihl KM110 Powerhead with attachments
Kawasaki Hedge Trimmer
Old 04-14-2009, 09:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Strange--Ok--could you tow the WB behind the tractor with an off set hitch. Then you would have twice as much width. And still go fast.
Old 04-14-2009, 09:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
Strange--Ok--could you tow the WB behind the tractor with an off set hitch. Then you would have twice as much width. And still go fast.
you sure your not from WV?
Old 01-02-2013, 05:14 AM
LawnSite Member

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-02-2013, 05:19 AM
LawnSite Member

You said it was free...tear into it...you can fix the valves...or find someone like me ...near you and spend 200. What else do you need? Running good I could sell it for 5-600? Can you make it sing for 400? Then its a win win ... I'm in pa if you want to junk it...LOL. **** the WV joke's funny
Posted via Mobile Device
Closed Thread