Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-02-2009, 09:09 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbettis View Post
lawn is currently being cut with a walker with bagging system. do i tell the lco to gradually lower to train the lawn to grow lower
Hmmm, that looks pretty bad for a Walker cut, when I got lazy with my Bermuda, I would cut it with my Walker at 1" and it looked pretty good.
I wouldn't do anything until you are able to topdress, it would look bad and would burn up. Do you have an irrigation system?
Old 08-02-2009, 09:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

When is the last time you put down fertilizer? It looks like it could use some N.
Old 08-02-2009, 09:17 PM
LawnSite Member

fertilized monday with 30-3-3 i have irrigation
Old 08-02-2009, 10:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

If I would have know we were going to get as much rain as we did the last few days I would have fertilized.

As far as backlapping, I may bring it over this week...at any rate we will see you tomorrow for haircuts.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-02-2009, 10:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbettis View Post
fertilized monday with 30-3-3 i have irrigation

It will start to look good in about a week!
Old 08-02-2009, 10:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgaengineer View Post
If I would have know we were going to get as much rain as we did the last few days I would have fertilized.

As far as backlapping, I may bring it over this week...at any rate we will see you tomorrow for haircuts.
Posted via Mobile Device
OK, I have a full week's worth of work this week!
Say that 10 times real quickly!
Old 08-02-2009, 11:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Well that's good news, hopefully K will find a job soon too!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-03-2009, 01:25 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well guys i got my sod laid out about a month ago. It had to sit on the pallet for almost 2 DAYS!!!! When i laid it it was yellow as all get out. It looked like a dead or a dormant yard. I watered the heck out of it for a two weeks. It started to look good and fill in the yellow and brown. My mom got her water bill and STROKED. She said cut the water to twice a week. I did and everything DIED!! Everything except the front. The front looks bad and part of i died due to my lack of time for ground prep. So 1800 dollars of bermuda sod went to waste. I still have four full pallets in my back yard that i didn't lay due to not having time. I am very depressed because it took me OVER 20 hours to lay 16 pallets and i have nothing to show for it. I have came to the conclusion of broadcasting out centipede seed in the back. Then i will do all my landscaping back there and lay sod two or three pallets at a time. That way i can make sure everything is perfect. Probably will not start relaying the sod until next spring. I have lots to do. A retaining wall with a cobble stone patio and two walkways. Then beds all the way around the perimeter of my one acre backyard. Maybe one day i will be finished and be able to sit back and relax.

"Making Thomasville and surrounding areas more beautiful one yard at a time!"
Old 08-03-2009, 01:27 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

OH!!! And can i broadcast some fertilizer out on the front to try and make it green up and fill in. If so what balance should i be looking for? I use lesco products. I was told some triple 13 but that doesn't sound like what i need on a freshly sodded yard. Thanks. I hope either dave of chris will chime in before bed to let me know so i can get to mobile tommorrow to get it. Thanks

"Making Thomasville and surrounding areas more beautiful one yard at a time!"
Old 08-03-2009, 06:20 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Put that dead sod down anyway...you will be surprised. I wouldn't do it for a customer but for your own lawn it will be fine. Next year it will take longer to green up but I promise it will all be greened up before the end of summer next season. Bermuda is tough...very tough. The actual grass that is dead on the sod pieces may not come back, but the neighboring grass will spread right into the 1.5" of freshly laid fertile top soil.

As far as fertilizer I would put down a starter fert...but that's just me...I am far from an expert, I'm just telling you what has worked for me.

I would not put down centipede seed next season either. Centipede compared to bermuda are 180 degrees from each other...centipede being very temperamental and bermuda being very tough.
Posted via Mobile Device