Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-03-2009, 07:40 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

That is hard for me to believe it would have died, yes I believe the sod on the pallets would cook and die if on there to long, I would not give up, send me some pictures, Use Starter Fertilizer, any brand is fine, use what ever is on sale, follow the directions.
Why didn't you get all the sod laid in back? time is no excuse, could have had some friends and neighbors over to lay it, or done a little every night.
Always remember the 5 "P"s
Proper planning, Prevents, Poor Performances!
Old 08-03-2009, 01:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave k View Post
That is hard for me to believe it would have died, yes I believe the sod on the pallets would cook and die if on there to long, I would not give up, send me some pictures, Use Starter Fertilizer, any brand is fine, use what ever is on sale, follow the directions.
Why didn't you get all the sod laid in back? time is no excuse, could have had some friends and neighbors over to lay it, or done a little every night.
Always remember the 5 "P"s
Proper planning, Prevents, Poor Performances!
I know Dave. I was hard pressed to have it done in a matter of a week and a half. I called the sod company and prepaid. My irrigation company said it would take two days and they would start the next day. Well it did take three days of labor. But they showed up one monday and worked and didn't return until friday and then again monday. Well i had the sod delivered on monday and the trenches still werent filled. There fore i couldn't prep the ground with the harley rake. So i prepped ground most of the night. Neighbors loved that. And started laying it in the morning at 6. Laid for two days. Dave and chris you may remember this. the third day i went to the hospital. So i was stretched for time and then the irrigation company screwed me.

"Making Thomasville and surrounding areas more beautiful one yard at a time!"
Old 08-03-2009, 02:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbettis View Post
the topdressing application that my lawn is about to receive will enable me to cut very low for next spring. currently its at 1.5- 2.0 and i hate it. have a lot of dimples every where
It appears to me you have some rutting happening which will be taken care of when top dressed. I would suggest you do the topdressing now or wait until next June, personally I would wait until June even with irrigation. Do not topdress in the fall, you will lose a lot of your sand during the winter without protection from a thatch layer and horizontal growth. You could top dress with manure or compost in the fall, but that will not level your lawn like you want.

Fell free to ask any questions you may have on the process, I will be glad to answer them.

"A well-regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."
Old 08-03-2009, 05:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JShe8918 View Post
I know Dave. I was hard pressed to have it done in a matter of a week and a half. I called the sod company and prepaid. My irrigation company said it would take two days and they would start the next day. Well it did take three days of labor. But they showed up one monday and worked and didn't return until friday and then again monday. Well i had the sod delivered on monday and the trenches still werent filled. There fore i couldn't prep the ground with the harley rake. So i prepped ground most of the night. Neighbors loved that. And started laying it in the morning at 6. Laid for two days. Dave and chris you may remember this. the third day i went to the hospital. So i was stretched for time and then the irrigation company screwed me.
I'm with Chris, if you still have sod on pallets, I would still lay them down, see what happens, heck builders lay sod and the house sits and no one waters it and it survives, go for it Johnathon
Old 08-03-2009, 06:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well i bought 2 pallets and are going to arrive tommorrow i will be laying the center circle of my drive. Ground prep was a son of a gun but it looks decent. i have some more work to do. I borrowed a skid from my buddy who owns a large landscaping company in town and i busted an irrigation pipe with it by mistake. This install will not be nearly as sloppy as the last. I am also going to be patching a few dead spots wish me luck on the second go around.

Old 08-03-2009, 06:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have put it down when it was molded and slimey and it came back...and I didn't water it either.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-03-2009, 06:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JShe8918 View Post
Well i bought 2 pallets and are going to arrive tommorrow i will be laying the center circle of my drive. Ground prep was a son of a gun but it looks decent. i have some more work to do. I borrowed a skid from my buddy who owns a large landscaping company in town and i busted an irrigation pipe with it by mistake. This install will not be nearly as sloppy as the last. I am also going to be patching a few dead spots wish me luck on the second go around.
The fertilizer will help out too!
Old 08-05-2009, 12:57 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I put it all down this morning. It looks different. But both companies had proof that it was certified 419. I have watered twice today 15 minutes each time. The area is covered by some rain bird 1806 sprays. I am gonna roll it tomorrow. I will get a picture to see if i get dave's and chris's approval. Since according to them my last install was SLOPPY. LoL. we shall see if this one looks better to them.

Old 08-05-2009, 06:30 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

That last install was not your install, it was your friends!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-05-2009, 11:10 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

True but the ground prep was still on me. And that is why it was so bumpy. but the seams did look like crap. Going to take pictures now.