Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-06-2010, 07:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Okay chris maybe i lied... Mine looks more green in person than it does on the internet. LoL. But you get the idea.

Here's some photos! As you can see i have a weed problem. One of which is poa annua. It is going to be sprayed next week some time with celcius. It is supposably the new best thing on the market. Good for zoysia, bermuda, centipede, and saint augustine... Odd huh?

This stuff grows like tumble weeds. I have already mowed it twice this week. I am trying to keep it low to the ground!

"Making Thomasville and surrounding areas more beautiful one yard at a time!"
Old 04-06-2010, 08:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

And a few of my weeds.....

IDK?

Poa Annua aka blue grass....

Another IDK?

And IDK why this spot died.... Unless it drowned when i had a busted pipe at the end of the summer.

Old 04-06-2010, 09:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I wouldn't even treat the poa now...its about to die and it has already dropped its seed for you next year! Don't bother, its not worth the risk of setting back the greenup honestly.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-06-2010, 11:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Ok I have read this thread and I must say I am sold on Bermuda. You guys have some serious lawns. If someone could kindly set me in the best direction to get my lawn looking like that. I know 1 million and 1 person to ask the same question. I currently have Centipeede and fescue. I do not have the funds to pay for sod since I have 1.4 acres. If I kill my lawn, till it up, apply cow crap, sand to smooth it out and level. can I obtain the same results with sprigs or is sod the only way to go. And if sprigs will work where can you get Certified sprigs. Please forgive the stupid questions. I am sure this would be a no brainer for a true landscaper. I am a homeowner who enjoys yard work, I use to volunteer at a golf course in junior high just to drive a International reel mower, that thing was awesome until brakes went out on me and a local pond... thats another story. Please if anyone could lend a helping thought that would be great.
Old 04-06-2010, 11:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would just do it one section at a time if you can't afford to do it all at once. It is only about 8K for sod for close to an acre in my area for 419. I really wanted zoysia but couldn't afford it. Zoysia is double the cost here. Springs would be to time consuming for slow results. If you wanted to do it that way i would atleast do sod and checkerboard the yard. The results would be loads quicker. So Chirs are you down for Duluth tomorrow evening if i get to make the trip? I bet i get stuck in ATL 5 o'clock traffic. YUCK!

Old 04-07-2010, 05:42 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'll try to see if I can catch a ride with Dave at that time, I have to get my son so I'm not sure I will be able to make it. You should be ok coming into Atlanta, but like you said about Duluth...that will likely be your bottleneck.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-07-2010, 05:53 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutn4alivin View Post
Ok I have read this thread and I must say I am sold on Bermuda. You guys have some serious lawns. If someone could kindly set me in the best direction to get my lawn looking like that. I know 1 million and 1 person to ask the same question. I currently have Centipeede and fescue. I do not have the funds to pay for sod since I have 1.4 acres. If I kill my lawn, till it up, apply cow crap, sand to smooth it out and level. can I obtain the same results with sprigs or is sod the only way to go. And if sprigs will work where can you get Certified sprigs. Please forgive the stupid questions. I am sure this would be a no brainer for a true landscaper. I am a homeowner who enjoys yard work, I use to volunteer at a golf course in junior high just to drive a International reel mower, that thing was awesome until brakes went out on me and a local pond... thats another story. Please if anyone could lend a helping thought that would be great.
Do you have irrigation? I am thinking sprigs are going to be really tough to get going if not. Can it be done with sprigs? I'm sure it can, but it won't be easy and you will have to find someone with a machine made for sprigs.

Take a look at Princess 77 seed, its the closest seed to a hybrid bermuda and it maybe much easier then sprigging since it can be put down with a common spreader. I have seen pictures of princess 77 lawns that were seeded from bare ground that were wall to wall green so that is an option.

Sod is the best and quickest option but I understand the cost. The grid pattern that Jonathan suggested would cut your sod bill in half and would fill in before the end of the season but would require some work to get it smooth. Can you post some pictures of the areas you want to grass? Honestly if I was to sod my bacyard again I would put down 1/2 of what I did and integrate more beds and plants into that area...it too much to cut, too steep and requires more chemicals to keep it looking good.

Go for small and high quality if you can.

Where you from anyway?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-07-2010, 07:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgaengineer View Post
I'll try to see if I can catch a ride with Dave at that time, I have to get my son so I'm not sure I will be able to make it. You should be ok coming into Atlanta, but like you said about Duluth...that will likely be your bottleneck.
Posted via Mobile Device
Will likely be my bottle neck? What does that mean? Well as i am sure you konw i didn't make it today. But i am headed that way tomorrow. I am leaving at about 10 Am my time and 11 AM your time. That should put me there around 4.30 or so tomorrow evening at howard brothers. Maybe a little sooner depending on how fast i drive. . If you want or are able to come down. If not that is totally understandable. I don't know if dave will be able to make it or not. I don't know whether i am going to stay the night in duluth or ATL or if i am going to just drive home. I don't really feel like getting home late and driving 12 hours tomorrow.....

Old 04-14-2010, 08:41 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hey guys.... I found this post looking for info on overseeding existing Bermuda turf with Bermuda seed to fix bare spots at one of my properties. The guys at JDL told me that Sun Sport seed is the best they have, have you guys ever heard of it or have a preference on a seed brand? We took this property over and the turf is really thin in alot of places and has some pretty big bare spots that they want us to try to fix it. Anybody have advice on the best process to overseed Bermuda in existing turf. We've seeded before but it was bare ground and we could prep the soil. I'm not sure how to prep since I can't really rake the existing turf.
Old 04-14-2010, 08:48 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutn4alivin View Post
Princess 77 Bermuda seed is as close to being Hybred as you can get, it actually is a Hybred Bermuda seed, it looks like 419, it was used for a super bowl also a few years ago, just Google it.