Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-22-2010, 10:27 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You need to have them put some beds around those trees!
Old 04-23-2010, 12:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Gentlemen,

I have been monitoring this thread for many months. I am a regular guy who installed bermuda sod about 5 years ago. It has looked like crap. I have been following the advice found here over last summer and this spring. I am hopeful that we can turn this thing around. I am too ashamed to post pics. I want to put down some sand because of your comments about them. How much and when? Do I aerate? When? Also, I only put down sod on a portion of my yard. Can I overseed the rest of the lawn with bermuda seed and then treat the whole lawn as if it were bermuda? I don't have an expensive reel mower, just a cheap non-motorized deal that I bought at Home Depot for $45 (open box). I am getting ready to buy a "real" reel mower from a landscape friend for $200. ANY suggestions for a beginner would be greatly appreciated. I have always wanted the "golf course" look you all have!

Last edited by worldsfinestchocolate; 04-23-2010 at 12:37 PM.
Old 04-23-2010, 02:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldsfinestchocolate View Post
Gentlemen,

I have been monitoring this thread for many months. I am a regular guy who installed bermuda sod about 5 years ago. It has looked like crap. I have been following the advice found here over last summer and this spring. I am hopeful that we can turn this thing around. I am too ashamed to post pics. I want to put down some sand because of your comments about them. How much and when? Do I aerate? When? Also, I only put down sod on a portion of my yard. Can I overseed the rest of the lawn with bermuda seed and then treat the whole lawn as if it were bermuda? I don't have an expensive reel mower, just a cheap non-motorized deal that I bought at Home Depot for $45 (open box). I am getting ready to buy a "real" reel mower from a landscape friend for $200. ANY suggestions for a beginner would be greatly appreciated. I have always wanted the "golf course" look you all have!
As far as sand 1 cubic yard per 1000 sq feet is a good start, you may need less and you mat need more. The best time to apply sand is June when bermuda is growing fast, core aerate prior to sanding to limit layering effect. as far as over seeding, you would likely be overseeding a hybrid bermuda which has a sterile seed and is propagated by sod, sprigs or plugs...it will not match. The closest seed to a hybrid is Princess 77 bermuda seed so your option is to have a mismatched bermuda lawn or to sprig, sod or plug...sod being the best option for the quickest establishment.

As far as reel mowers, a push type will never work on bermuda...I assume you found that out? Take a look at a Locke, TruCut or a Trimmer...in that order, Locke being the best money can by for a home lawn and TruCut being the next best for the money. Trimmer is actually a couple notches down from the Locke or TruCut due to the lack of a drive clutch. This means if the drum is turning the reel is turning, this makes transport to a location difficult at in order to move the unit you either have to push it or drive it with reel spinning without cutting grass.

Please send some pictures...trust me, your lawn is NOT the worst we have ever seen. If you prefer to email pictures send me a Private Message and Ill send you my email address.

"A well-regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."
Old 04-24-2010, 01:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

So i have some scalped photo's from last week. i will post some more photo's this week of my lawn now that i have fertilized and scalped it! It should start looking alot better. Also here is a photo of my Locke CL130. I need to adjust the reel to the bed knife and also have the reel ground. Here they are!

Jonathan

"Making Thomasville and surrounding areas more beautiful one yard at a time!"
Old 04-24-2010, 01:09 PM
LawnSite Member

cgaengineer -
Thanks for your response. As far as the pics, I will take some and post soon. We covered over an old pool and I sodded the area. We have a fairly big yard for our area and most of it is a mixed type with weeds and etc. With the sand, do I try to level it all out the first year. There are some low spots that would have about 3-4 inches of sand (maybe not that much). Not sure I understand what you mean by the "layering effect"... With the overseeding, I am not sure having mixed types of bermuda would be a big deal as most of it is mixed bermuda, fescue and etc. I just want a great looking lawn on that part. (Would a healthy bermuda turf eventually take over the other lawn?)

The mower I am buying is a TruCut. So I lucked out there!
Old 04-24-2010, 01:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

OH and Dave i need you to tell me where all the grease points are and also why the chain keeps popping off. The sprockets are in good condition but it is jumping off. Is it popping off when i hit something or what?

Old 04-24-2010, 01:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldsfinestchocolate View Post
cgaengineer -
Thanks for your response. As far as the pics, I will take some and post soon. We covered over an old pool and I sodded the area. We have a fairly big yard for our area and most of it is a mixed type with weeds and etc. With the sand, do I try to level it all out the first year. There are some low spots that would have about 3-4 inches of sand (maybe not that much). Not sure I understand what you mean by the "layering effect"... With the overseeding, I am not sure having mixed types of bermuda would be a big deal as most of it is mixed bermuda, fescue and etc. I just want a great looking lawn on that part. (Would a healthy bermuda turf eventually take over the other lawn?)

The mower I am buying is a TruCut. So I lucked out there!
NO!!!! The most sand to be laid at a time should be 1/2" to 3/4" AT THE MOST!!! Just do it gradually. My recomendation for places that are that low is digging up the sod and putting some soil under it to level it if you need 4"s of sand LoL! Your yard sounds like mine almost!

Old 04-24-2010, 01:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JShe8918 View Post
NO!!!! The most sand to be laid at a time should be 1/2" to 3/4" AT THE MOST!!! Just do it gradually. My recomendation for places that are that low is digging up the sod and putting some soil under it to level it if you need 4"s of sand LoL! Your yard sounds like mine almost!
Thanks for the info. on the sand.... I may have exaggerated just a touch on the amount of sand. It may be an "1 to "1.5 that I am low.
Old 04-24-2010, 04:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
OH and Dave i need you to tell me where all the grease points are and also why the chain keeps popping off. The sprockets are in good condition but it is jumping off. Is it popping off when i hit something or what?
Jonathan, check that the idler is floating free on the side that the chain runs the reel and is not to tight that it doesn't float.

Also you can buy a guard that throws the clippings forward and not behind, I have both and like the forward throw best.

Will e-mail you about the grease jerk fittings, or just look over it real well, there isn't many, one in between the drive wheel and on back wheel.
Old 04-24-2010, 09:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Jonathan, I just sent you the manual for your Locke, check your e-mail
Dave