Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-29-2010, 02:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Photo's of my yard today. I just mowed it about 15 mins ago. Maybe one day it will look nearly as good as dave or chris's. Still little color and little growth. These cool nights are seem to be stunning my yard more than other local bermuda yards. IDK why. Could it be because mine isn't well established being it hasn't even been down for a year? Lets hear the constructive criticism. Also i know i need to edge, blow, and mulch. OH and i also know i need something on the corner to ancor my house and i comitted crepe murder.

Also the stripes aren't straight due to being in a hurry!

Thanks for looking!

"Making Thomasville and surrounding areas more beautiful one yard at a time!"
Old 04-29-2010, 10:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Mine looks like yours...spotty but mostly green. I'm going to send in a soil sample...my lawn may need something.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-29-2010, 10:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Jonathan...don't get anywhere near my crepes with your loppers...just stay in Alabama!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-29-2010, 10:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Haha! It had a bad kanker from where an employee loped them off straight instead of at an angle so i removed that. I am going to select 3 stems or branches from where i cut it this year and remove all the rest so it can grow in a tree form like it should! If they hadn't ever been cut they would be about 7 feet tall by now! ARGH!!!

Jonathan.

"Making Thomasville and surrounding areas more beautiful one yard at a time!"
Old 04-29-2010, 11:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JShe8918 View Post
Photo's of my yard today. I just mowed it about 15 mins ago. Maybe one day it will look nearly as good as dave or chris's. Still little color and little growth. These cool nights are seem to be stunning my yard more than other local bermuda yards. IDK why. Could it be because mine isn't well established being it hasn't even been down for a year? Lets hear the constructive criticism. Also i know i need to edge, blow, and mulch. OH and i also know i need something on the corner to ancor my house and i comitted crepe murder.

Also the stripes aren't straight due to being in a hurry!

Thanks for looking!
Looks good, topdressing will do wonders. And who said Bermuda doesn't stipe!
Old 04-29-2010, 11:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgaengineer View Post
Here are mine...Cut with TruCut reel with roller at 1/2"

that lawn deserves a TITLEIST PROVI sittin on it instead of a dunlop loco! lol nice work man. beautiful bermuda
Old 04-29-2010, 11:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

just wondering why you guys send in samples for soil when u can just buy a kit yourself for like 10 bucks? j/w not bein a dik. do they do anything more than what the kits usually offer?
Old 04-29-2010, 11:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrassIsGreenerLawnCare View Post
just wondering why you guys send in samples for soil when u can just buy a kit yourself for like 10 bucks? j/w not bein a dik. do they do anything more than what the kits usually offer?
I read a review on home soil test kits and everyone of them failed.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-29-2010, 11:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrassIsGreenerLawnCare View Post
that lawn deserves a TITLEIST PROVI sittin on it instead of a dunlop loco! lol nice work man. beautiful bermuda
I'll see if I can get that brand at WalMart...I found that one in the back of the office.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-30-2010, 05:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgaengineer View Post
As far as sand 1 cubic yard per 1000 sq feet is a good start, you may need less and you mat need more. The best time to apply sand is June when bermuda is growing fast, core aerate prior to sanding to limit layering effect. as far as over seeding, you would likely be overseeding a hybrid bermuda which has a sterile seed and is propagated by sod, sprigs or plugs...it will not match. The closest seed to a hybrid is Princess 77 bermuda seed so your option is to have a mismatched bermuda lawn or to sprig, sod or plug...sod being the best option for the quickest establishment.

As far as reel mowers, a push type will never work on bermuda...I assume you found that out? Take a look at a Locke, TruCut or a Trimmer...in that order, Locke being the best money can by for a home lawn and TruCut being the next best for the money. Trimmer is actually a couple notches down from the Locke or TruCut due to the lack of a drive clutch. This means if the drum is turning the reel is turning, this makes transport to a location difficult at in order to move the unit you either have to push it or drive it with reel spinning without cutting grass.

Please send some pictures...trust me, your lawn is NOT the worst we have ever seen. If you prefer to email pictures send me a Private Message and Ill send you my email address.
Ok...here are some pics. Putting in a pool and deck to the left (bobcat tracks so ignore those for now)...HELP??
Attached Images