Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-02-2010, 11:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Based on these pics, I'm surprised that more of you don't double-cut. Meaning that you cut from east to west first and then north to south. Reels always miss a little bit and this technique assures that you get everything. Reels will really miss on a bumpy lawn. Sure it doesn't stripe as vivid when you cut like this, but it does create a uniform carpet look which is also nice
Old 07-03-2010, 11:02 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud9Landscapes View Post
Based on these pics, I'm surprised that more of you don't double-cut. Meaning that you cut from east to west first and then north to south. Reels always miss a little bit and this technique assures that you get everything. Reels will really miss on a bumpy lawn. Sure it doesn't stripe as vivid when you cut like this, but it does create a uniform carpet look which is also nice
I have to reel mine criss cross or it looks bad...I have a very difficult lawn for reeling...its not flat. I have gotten pretty good at cutting mine...its all in the technique. Since its July I am leaving high and cutting with my commercial Snapper 21 at 1"...looks great...greenest and fullest lawn in my neighborhood.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-05-2010, 03:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Just wanted to chime in guys and say great work on your lawns! I have a degree and about 12 years experience working in the Southeast on a variety of warm season turf.

Frequency of cut plays a major role in keeping your low maintained grass green and dense. If your cutting at 3/4 or below you should be mowing at least 3 times a week. I cut my own lawn at about 1.25 in and usually mow every other day with rotary mower.

I have read the majority of this thread and found it very interesting and have been looking to chime in and answer any questions I can for you guys. One point I have not seen discussed is using PGR's to decrease vertical growth and increase density. Primo would be a very good tool to decrease your mowing frequency in half and still have a healthier greener lawn. Just my .02 ! Also, I have several friends who manage T-10 bermuda sports fields and I must say I am very impressed with the characteristics of this grass. T-10, is probably the slowest vertical growing bermuda there is and it has a very deep, blueish green color. Another feature of T-10 is that it stripes like no other bermuda I have seen. If any of you guys have or have had experience with t-10 on your lawn it would be nice to hear of your experiences with this grass, as I am strongly considering recommending this grass to my customers who demand bermuda.

Anyway, great thread guys! Nice to see there are others who are as passionate about grass as I am!
Old 07-06-2010, 03:46 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud9Landscapes View Post
Well, when you consider the fact that mowing one's home lawn to this high degree of quality instead of working for money mowing others' lawns costs them about $1/minute at least in foregone income, that second pass gets to be a pretty expensive "nice to have" thing. They're already spending time on the nice home lawn that could have been spent mowing for pay. I'd say it looking "excellent" and better than 99% of lawns out there is probably good enough already.

It's quite a different equation than a guy who sits at a desk all day and who earns a fixed salary going home after work and making a couple of reel-mow passes on the lawn for excercise so it looks just a little bit better than it did with one pass twice a week. He's not foregoing any income to do it.

You could make an argument that some of these guys have made a $50,000 commitment of time over the next 30 years to keep their lawns looking this good (vs just doing a routine mow on their home lawns) Because every minute they're mowing the home lawn, they could have been making $1 or more mowing for profit. So when you consider it that way, I think 1 pass is fine.
Old 07-07-2010, 06:49 PM
LawnSite Member

got a question? are you guys still watering with this 100 degree heat. do u sacrifice a good looking lawn for a 200.00 plus water bill. also when u do irrigate are you watering the back yard too or are u just watering the curb appeal areas?
Old 07-07-2010, 07:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I am putting down very little water, yet my lawn still looks great. When I water I only water front...I naturalized a lot of grassed areas in the back due to lack of sun to sustain bermuda growth.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-07-2010, 11:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Chris or dave i am ready to topdress my yard... The only sand i can find is just plain sand like beach sand... Will that work?

"Making Thomasville and surrounding areas more beautiful one yard at a time!"
Old 07-07-2010, 11:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JShe8918 View Post
Chris or dave i am ready to topdress my yard... The only sand i can find is just plain sand like beach sand... Will that work?
It will work but it won't look very good. See if you can find river sand.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-08-2010, 12:24 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

What do you mean not look very good? Does it clump up or something?

"Making Thomasville and surrounding areas more beautiful one yard at a time!"
Old 07-08-2010, 12:32 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JShe8918 View Post
What do you mean not look very good? Does it clump up or something?
No its white like sugar...its really the wrong texture too...way too fine.
Posted via Mobile Device