Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-22-2010, 12:41 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

That is very true. A Hybrid Bermuda should be cut at least twice a week if it is mown below 3/4 of an inch.

On a golf green, they mow everyday.
Old 07-22-2010, 06:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JShe8918 View Post
Got a question dave and chris... My lawn doesn't look quiet like either of yours yet. It looks good just not as thick with horizontal growth. it still grows vertically. Do ya'll think it is from a dull blade tearing the grass as opposed to snipping it? My fert program has been pretty good. I still have about 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch of root or stem even after lowering my front roller as low as it would go and the back one on the .5 postion...
Yep, I agree with Chris, if you want the golf course look, you need to cut twice a week, sanding helps to.
I wouldn't use to much N either, makes it grow to fast, use iron to keep it green.
Old 07-22-2010, 08:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave k View Post
Yep, I agree with Chris, if you want the golf course look, you need to cut twice a week, sanding helps to.
I wouldn't use to much N either, makes it grow to fast, use iron to keep it green.
Apply N when you start to see seed heads.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-23-2010, 12:49 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I've heard over time that hybrid Bermuda will over time, start to revert back to common Bermuda. I think certain hybrid cultivars are more susceptible to this than some. This probably explains why some older Hybrid Bermudas will have more seed heads than newer lawns. Plus summer stress adds to the lawn producing more seed heads.

Speaking of hybrid Bermuda cultivars, were you aware that hybrid Bermudas are not bred in nature, but were actually mutations when they exposed common Bermuda to gamma ray radiation? Sounds like science fiction but this is the truth. It is known as "mutation breeding" and has created crops that have much more desirable traits are produce more. Much like humans will have mutations when exposed to nuclear radiation, so will plants. Just a interesting fact.
Old 07-23-2010, 01:50 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I know know about the nitrogen making it jump. Literrally i mowed my back yard day before yesterday with my ztr at 2.75 which is pretty dang low and it is time to mow it again... Front yard needed that kinda nitrogen though to make it bounce back out.

"Making Thomasville and surrounding areas more beautiful one yard at a time!"
Old 07-23-2010, 08:33 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud9Landscapes View Post
I've heard over time that hybrid Bermuda will over time, start to revert back to common Bermuda. I think certain hybrid cultivars are more susceptible to this than some. This probably explains why some older Hybrid Bermudas will have more seed heads than newer lawns. Plus summer stress adds to the lawn producing more seed heads.

Speaking of hybrid Bermuda cultivars, were you aware that hybrid Bermudas are not bred in nature, but were actually mutations when they exposed common Bermuda to gamma ray radiation? Sounds like science fiction but this is the truth. It is known as "mutation breeding" and has created crops that have much more desirable traits are produce more. Much like humans will have mutations when exposed to nuclear radiation, so will plants. Just a interesting fact.
Thats funny, from what I understand about mutation is, it always degrades and never improves. I've never seen an animal that improved its self after an mutation.
Old 07-24-2010, 12:47 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendonTW View Post
Apparently this is strange. In Oklahoma, most companies cut bermuda pretty high. I cut many bermuda lawns at 4 inches high. Including my own. Hard to stripe that way, but if fertilized correctly, it can make a very thick and lush lawn.
i cut most of mine at 2.50" to 3.25"

this is heavily fertilized and mowed at 3.25"

i posted a picture earlier in the thread of a bermuda yard that was scalped now its not worth showing the owners quit the fert and squirt its a shame it was one of the better yards i had
Old 07-24-2010, 11:58 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgaengineer View Post
Apply N when you start to see seed heads.
Posted via Mobile Device
ooops.. Just put some 24-0-11 on pretty heavily... Oh well. Better luck next time i guess...

"Making Thomasville and surrounding areas more beautiful one yard at a time!"
Old 07-24-2010, 12:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

That's fine Jonathan, I have been using the seed heads as my guide.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-24-2010, 01:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JShe8918 View Post
the stripes look good but the color is not GREEN!!!! I was one the golf course today and i should have snapped a few photos of it. the greens were so green but talk about soggy!! i play bare foot and the water would squish out of the ground and around my feet. I began to wonder why they don't have a fungus problem with that much water.
May get called a hippie, but, woundn't have too much contact with the grass on a golf course and skin. Also wouldn't ever touch face after touching the putting green. Think about it...wait for it...ahh