Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-01-2010, 12:37 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman911 View Post
May get called a hippie, but, woundn't have too much contact with the grass on a golf course and skin. Also wouldn't ever touch face after touching the putting green. Think about it...wait for it...ahh
Im lost. LoL

"Making Thomasville and surrounding areas more beautiful one yard at a time!"
Old 08-01-2010, 03:07 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JShe8918 View Post
Im lost. LoL
I think he's talking about the large amount of chemicals used on greens?
Old 08-01-2010, 08:24 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ok i got a couple bermuda yards that I am mowing on 4 which I have thought this is too high. One of them looks green and lush the other has recently gotten the brown look streaking thing going on.

HOW DO I CORRECT IT? I would like to get them back down to at least 3.5 inches. I need to fix it! Thanks for the help!
Old 08-01-2010, 09:40 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cut level View Post
Ok i got a couple bermuda yards that I am mowing on 4 which I have thought this is too high. One of them looks green and lush the other has recently gotten the brown look streaking thing going on.

HOW DO I CORRECT IT? I would like to get them back down to at least 3.5 inches. I need to fix it! Thanks for the help!
Start next season at a lower height...much lower than 3.5"....how about 1.5"...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-01-2010, 01:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would have to have a good bit of sand to level the old lumps and bumps that the original post construction landscapers didnt smooth it 100% I would have some scalped places from the remaining "washes" from the sod laid at construction bout 3 years ago.

Seems I could pop an extra cut on it say 2-3 days after and give it a shot of fertilize because it is irrigated and they will keep it hydrated well. it really has looked awesome til I got it too high the last few weeks. They dont mind the maintenance as long as it looks right. We are on a 5 day schedule already so I dont mind 50 bucks for a freebie to help corrct my mistake?

Short Term correction for this year I guess I am working for as it will grow good for at least another 8 weeks 10 more cuts at least. thats saying we get a frost Oct 1 and thats highly doubtful here. Might get another week in Oct. the leveling job bringing sand in they would do but I would rather do it say end of Feb.
Old 08-01-2010, 01:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Do your sand topdressing next June after the first scalping.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-01-2010, 05:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Why wait til next June to do the sanding? Why wouldnt I do it in like Feb I could mow it closer so maybe I could see the places a little better maybe? Then the grass would back in, in those places as it comes out in the spring? And I ddint follow what you meant by "in June after the first scalping"? This is a side business for me so I may not follow everything you full time guys do. I have been mowing for 25 years but just doing stuff in the country like churches and elderly and a couple big ole country graveyards.

I jujst got into the neighborhood nice subdivisions the last 2 years where the country style cut doesnt fit in these places thus the pristine look has to be there. I am new to the site and looking for help. So far I have learned a bunch from this site and I appreciate everyones comments and help. Thanks
Old 08-01-2010, 05:54 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

If you topdress in Feb you will look at sand all winter and most will wash away with heavy spring rains. Scalp the bermuda down to 1/2" prior to topdressing and you will save yourself lots of time and aggravation...it spreads much easier.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-01-2010, 05:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I follow ya now. I Bermuda was out pretty good here mid may. Thanks for the help
What's the best way to get your sand on the yard and leveling it? I had one guy say just sling it out but that just doesn't make sense to me at all! Lol
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-01-2010, 06:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Slinging it works great, but a topdressing machine is really nice. You can also dump it in small piles all over the lawn and rake out the piles.

Although bermuda is green in May, its not doing its fastest growing at that time...pick a time when temps are in the high 80s and low 90s but we are still getting rain...this is usually the beginning of June.
Posted via Mobile Device