Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-01-2010, 07:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgaengineer View Post
That's not a statement, its a fact. And anyone who cuts bermuda with a reel mower will back me on that. Bermuda is all stems with green tips at anything above 1.25", that's another fact. Bermuda cut at 1.25" and below has horizontal growth and is green to the ground.

I never said I cut mt customers lawns at .5", because I don't...none of my customers lawns are smooth enough, but no way would I ever cut bermuda at 4". I usually cut my customers bermuda at 1.75"-2.25" and I can tell you and provide pictures that prove the turf density is less the higher you go. People don't want to pay for 3 cuts per week nor do they want to pay for topdressing.
Posted via Mobile Device
Right now I cut my grass at 2 with a Rotary JD La135, and it looks damn good. I have done a lot of work with top dressing though and fertilizing.

In the earlier months when it is cooler and hasn't taken complete color yet, I will use a friends 'reel' every now and then.

I am proof that you can get a yard looking 80-90 percent of its best with a rotary, but for that extra effect to 100%, I believe you must use a reel.

I personally hate cutting with a rotary as I know it just rips and tears through the grass. I still manage to keep it really short, but a reel gives it a different looking short that I prefer.

And to the guy who talked about walking on greens barefoot that is a crazy idea. They put out chems with a chem suit and respirator.
Old 08-01-2010, 07:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

A reel slices the grass and leaves the tops nicely cut, a rotary whacks the grass and leaves the tops ragged and torn...the difference in cut between a rotary and a reel is night and day...not even close. I have been cutting mine with my rotary lately because its trying to go dormant from lack of irrigation and its not worth using the reel and although it looks good, its really not the look I am after.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-02-2010, 01:19 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

A reel will cut ANY lawn better than a rotary. I know this first hand because I used to maintain my personal lawn, which is fescue, with a Cal Trimmer reel and it looked amazing, received many compliments. For Bermuda, especially hybrid, a reel is a must. I see so many mow-blow-n-go guys using a rotary on bermuda and it looks pretty bad, it would look 20 times better if they used a reel.
Old 08-02-2010, 01:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgaengineer View Post
Slinging it works great, but a topdressing machine is really nice. You can also dump it in small piles all over the lawn and rake out the piles.

Although bermuda is green in May, its not doing its fastest growing at that time...pick a time when temps are in the high 80s and low 90s but we are still getting rain...this is usually the beginning of June.
Posted via Mobile Device
Must be nice, Chris lol... June the 13th or 14th it was 101 with a heat idex of 109. WE had that three days in a row. I scalped my yard around this time and irrigated heavily. It looks as if i should have done it earlier because i still have brown spots!

"Making Thomasville and surrounding areas more beautiful one yard at a time!"
Old 09-01-2010, 02:39 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Laid 300sqf of Tifgreen 328 bermuda in backyard last Saturday. Now to accomplish those beds and install a new wall in place of that ratty fence.

Old 09-07-2010, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRRITECH View Post
1) 7/8" reel mowed

2) 1.75" W/B
a shot in the dark but do u do work in cumming? im almost 100% sure that ive seen u around... white single cab chevy with 2 exmark or toro walk behinds??
Old 09-14-2010, 01:38 AM
LawnSite Member

Spring here in Australia. Starting to get some colour back in our lawns.
Attached Images

Old 09-14-2010, 02:44 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Looks great AutoFlow! Strange how the seasons are opposite of those of us that are in the northern hemisphere. If I didn't know you were in Australia, I would have guessed Newport Beach, California. It looks almost exactly the same!
Old 09-14-2010, 09:54 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Nice edging on that property.....
Old 09-14-2010, 10:46 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

AutoFlow what are you mowing with?