Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-17-2010, 06:06 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbettis View Post
an update. hit it with 33-0-0- about 2 weeks ago and I never in my wildest dream thought that bermuda can get that dark green. Still a ways to go though because its only at 70% of what I really want it to look like. thanks to all my bermuda friends for the help. engineer im still gonna topdress but havent found the time because of my schedule.
Lawn looks good, mine kinda favors yours...should we cut it shorter? I am not using a reel mower (I supposed you are not either) yet but would it look like others if I used a reel?

Thanks
Old 09-17-2010, 02:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgaengineer View Post
Slinging it works great, but a topdressing machine is really nice. You can also dump it in small piles all over the lawn and rake out the piles.

Although bermuda is green in May, its not doing its fastest growing at that time...pick a time when temps are in the high 80s and low 90s but we are still getting rain...this is usually the beginning of June.
Posted via Mobile Device
I'm needing to topdress my lawn as well. Especially now, since the city dug up a portion of it yesterday to fix a water leak.

So you're saying wait till June, and then scalp it, then topdress? We usually only scalp in Feb/March, then increase height from there. Wouldn't a June scalp knock it back too much, and invite weeds?
Old 09-17-2010, 06:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShooterK2 View Post
I'm needing to topdress my lawn as well. Especially now, since the city dug up a portion of it yesterday to fix a water leak.

So you're saying wait till June, and then scalp it, then topdress? We usually only scalp in Feb/March, then increase height from there. Wouldn't a June scalp knock it back too much, and invite weeds?
Yes! I topdressed my bermuda lawn this past June and was very pleased with the results. Trust me you will definitely want to scalp before putting the sand down. The longer the grass the harder the sand is to spread. You will scalp in feb/march like normal and then again in june right before topdressing. The sand will cover up the majority of grass and become the new ground for the lawn. Once it starts growing back through it will be like getting a new lawn.
Old 09-17-2010, 08:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Scalping bermuda does not set it back...it invigorates it. June is the best time because its growing rapidly, we are getting rain and the temps are cooler...but warm enough for growth.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-17-2010, 08:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Too late to scalp in many of your guy's climates. Best time is late May-June, like CGA said. Before topdressing, I always scalp.
Old 09-17-2010, 11:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I knew to scalp it first, I just figured I could do it in the early spring when we do our normal scalping. I guess it makes sense to do it during peak growth, however. Only bad thing is that it'll look bad for a while until it recovers.
Old 09-17-2010, 11:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud9Landscapes View Post
Looks great AutoFlow! Strange how the seasons are opposite of those of us that are in the northern hemisphere. If I didn't know you were in Australia, I would have guessed Newport Beach, California. It looks almost exactly the same!
Thanks. That estate is a little different to other areas around it. It is a very expensive estate for its location. The house in the background is for sale for just under 3 Million.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave k View Post
Nice edging on that property.....
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakleaf landscape View Post
AutoFlow what are you mowing with?
Its a 20" Scott Bonner reel mower. I posted a pic of it in this thread a few months back.
http://www.lawnsite.com/showpost.php...&postcount=313

Last edited by Autoflow; 09-17-2010 at 11:59 PM.
Old 09-18-2010, 12:00 AM
LawnSite Member

It won't look bad long... mine was filled back in within 2 weeks.
Old 09-18-2010, 01:51 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShooterK2 View Post
I knew to scalp it first, I just figured I could do it in the early spring when we do our normal scalping. I guess it makes sense to do it during peak growth, however. Only bad thing is that it'll look bad for a while until it recovers.
The point of scalping in June is so it doesn't look bad for long.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-18-2010, 03:47 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Many of the "educated" naysayers will tell you not to scalp your Bermuda or zoysia in June. But guess what, people have been doing it for centuries with great success. The nicest Bermuda lawns in my area are all scalped once per year. Don't forget what a difference aeration can make too. Same goes for topdressing, many say it is a crazy idea, but guess what, the nicest lawns that I have ever seen are all top dressed. I think we all need to remember to stick to basics and time proven techniques.