Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-22-2009, 09:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
And there you go again, avoiding the issue that started this. Why do you continue to go to great lengths to avoid the issue?
All I have to say is: 10
Old 06-23-2009, 07:49 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaBeOrganic View Post
Maybe I'm a freak. I don't want to just have grass to keep the soil from blowing or washing away. If that's all I cared about I wouldn't add anything. For years I never added any fertilizer or compost and always had a lawn. I saw the results of some people and I know with a little bit of work I can have a great lawn.

I want a lawn that stands out from the neighbors. I want a lawn so green mothers tell their children to cross the street because they think my lawn is toxic. I want a lawn so dark people get into car accidents because they are so distracted by it. I want dirty hippies to to have a sit in on my sidewalk to protest my use of toxic petroleum based fertilizers so I can shoo 'em away with a hose and hurl bags of corn meal at them. I want a lawn so nice I have to install security cameras to catch the local squirt and fert guys that try and kill it in the middle of the night. I want a lawn so thick and lush female joggers can't help but strip naked and roll around in it and giggle because I've found that there's no better way to wake up in the morning than to the sound of the giggling of naked chics.
Nice post, WBO! Hilarious!
Ya miss a few days of lawnsite, ya miss a lot.

I think what all this boils down to is that Kiril is perfectly content with a much lower bar of expectation than the average Joe or Jane Homeowner.
And again, like I've stated before, the geographic differences are vast.
Taken as a whole, people are altogether different in the Midwest, as compared to the left coast.
All points regarding 'sustainability' pushed to the rear for a moment, Californians are generally farther away from grain and/or wheat belts, so if meals aren't cost-effective there, what would be the incentive for them to use CGM, corn meal, soybean meal, etc?
Maybe kelp meal would work there, if it can be processed efficiently & cleanly enough.
Fish meal, if they can tolerate the stench!

In any good marketing program, you'd better have at least a little bit of 'sway'...a.k.a 'options' in the program.
It doesn't matter if the prospect is young or old, male or female, liberal or conservative, black, white, green or purple.....they want options to choose from.

Kiril is a one-man-band out there trying to persuade customers into 'his' corner.
A VERY LONELY corner containing only the servicing of compost topdressing.
That's business recipe #1 for leaving lots o' unsigned contracts & unshaken hands.
So in this way too, his bar of expectations is low, whether he fully realizes it or not.
Old 06-23-2009, 08:37 PM
LawnSite Member

You're right about attitudes varying by region and demographics.

I can see how a lawn might be more offensive in areas where it would need irrigation to survive but that's not the climate I live in.

Your approach sounds good and is applicable to many types of businesses. What I feel works best is to start out by telling the client what they need. They're not paying just for your labor, they're paying for your expertise in most cases. Then give them options that they can choose from in terms they can understand. Which sounds like what you do.

Customers like to have some control but when they ask you what you're going to do for their lawn you can't just say "I don't know... what do you want me to do?" If they knew what to do they'd probably just do it themselves.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:25 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcos View Post
I think what all this boils down to is that Kiril is perfectly content with a much lower bar of expectation than the average Joe or Jane Homeowner.
Don't confused realistic with low Marcos. As you like to put it, I prefer to live in the real world, not one little corner of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcos View Post
Kiril is a one-man-band out there trying to persuade customers into 'his' corner.
A VERY LONELY corner containing only the servicing of compost topdressing.
That's business recipe #1 for leaving lots o' unsigned contracts & unshaken hands.
So in this way too, his bar of expectations is low, whether he fully realizes it or not.
Funny Marcos ..... never had ever 1 client balk at compost .... EVER! Guess my clients trust me to make the correct management decisions for their land. You know what else .... I've saved them ALOT of money too. Guess a healthy landscape with low inputs and low economic impact on the owner are not appealing to people in your little corner of the world.
Old 06-24-2009, 11:55 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

C'mon guys! Don't stop now! Post #200 is within reach.

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 06-24-2009, 12:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Y'know... I would be interested in seeing some pics of your lawns Kiril... Not for the sake of THIS debate.. but because I'm interested in seeing the capabilities of a 'mostly' compost oriented service plan..
Old 06-24-2009, 12:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayholio View Post
Y'know... I would be interested in seeing some pics of your lawns Kiril... Not for the sake of THIS debate.. but because I'm interested in seeing the capabilities of a 'mostly' compost oriented service plan..
Already posted the only lawn I am completely responsible for servicing & maintaining.

Old 06-24-2009, 12:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

THat's some great looking grass!.. No weeds.. good color.

Is it an optical illusion, or part of the variety? up close it looks like the blades are pretty far apart.. also sort hard to tell with low res pic.. but it looks like the home owners blades need to be sharpened.. the grass has brown crowns..
Old 06-24-2009, 01:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayholio View Post
THat's some great looking grass!.. No weeds.. good color.

Is it an optical illusion, or part of the variety? up close it looks like the blades are pretty far apart.. also sort hard to tell with low res pic.. but it looks like the home owners blades need to be sharpened.. the grass has brown crowns..
Here ya go .... all the above answered

http://www.lawnsite.com/album.php?albumid=229
Old 06-24-2009, 03:32 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

oops, mispost, mods please delete