Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-26-2009, 11:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Looks good my friend. I fab full time at a shop that builds chassis for varius NASCAR teams here in SC and I like to see people fab on thier own to save some bucks. Just a piece of advise on material. I'm not sure if you were just trying to match up trailer angle with your cage or you thought you need that much strengh. I would go with square 3/4 (.065) if you were going to try this agian on a future trailer. It will be plenty strong once constucted and would be less weight and cost less. My cost on a stick would be $13.60 for 24'. You might be looking at $25 or so retail, just a guess though. Hope this helps and keep up the good work my friend.

PLS
Old 04-27-2009, 02:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Premier landscaping south View Post
Looks good my friend. I fab full time at a shop that builds chassis for varius NASCAR teams here in SC and I like to see people fab on thier own to save some bucks. Just a piece of advise on material. I'm not sure if you were just trying to match up trailer angle with your cage or you thought you need that much strengh. I would go with square 3/4 (.065) if you were going to try this agian on a future trailer. It will be plenty strong once constucted and would be less weight and cost less. My cost on a stick would be $13.60 for 24'. You might be looking at $25 or so retail, just a guess though. Hope this helps and keep up the good work my friend.

PLS
The reason the angle iron is this heavy is because I was using the cheapest stuff I could get. The metal place out here is also a recycling place, they have a used yard and you can buy new also. when I bought for my tailgate there was a lot of angle iron there in the recycle yard. At 20 cents a pound you can't go wrong. (for most of the angle I paid about $30.00 for what I used on the tailgate and enough for half of the cage.) the unfortunate thing was running out and they had no more used. It was $20 per stick for the new. Nice thing was they sold the expanded for $50.00 new. I figure that on my trailer the weight will actually stabilize it more than hurt it. Even though it is home made it is heavy duty for it's size and I don't for-see overloading it. It will mainly be used for my equipment. But I will use your advice on future projects if I can afford to use the best size for the job. I feel like Tim the tool man Tailor some times when I take on a project and go a little over board. If you look at my post on the tail-gate you will see I wanted it strong enough for any mower I might use in the future. Hey thank you for everything, David
Old 04-27-2009, 02:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Oh buy the way the door to this where actually already put together as one full piece that my neighbor found a thought I could use on this. I just had to cut it in to the two sizes and take a piece of angle iron and cut it to fit the open ends. I think it may have been more work than making it from scratch but I do like the way it turned out.
Old 04-27-2009, 02:36 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Looks awesome to me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morningside View Post
I bought a wb from 4.3 Mudder and it was a great deal. he was honest and it was easy.
Old 04-27-2009, 04:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.3mudder View Post
Looks awesome to me!
Thanks, I was hoping that you won't mind me stealing your color scheme on your truck & trailer (Hunter Green), when I expand.
Old 04-27-2009, 04:12 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J & D Greens View Post
Thanks, I was hoping that you won't mind me stealing your color scheme on your truck & trailer (Hunter Green), when I expand.
Well, you might steal it before I do. I still have not gotten i painted. I have to work on the fenders a little bit. I need to get my cage built for the front of mine. Steel is going to run around $150. But it will be well worth it.

Quote:
I bought a wb from 4.3 Mudder and it was a great deal. he was honest and it was easy.
Old 04-27-2009, 04:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

That is about what it would have cost if I bought new steel, but the used stuff save me a lot (just had to grind any area that I was going to weld). But I did end up short on the expanded metal and ended buying another 4X8 sheet just for about 2'X3' of it. But I will need it for the truck some day. i want to make side boards that way. Thanks for the compliment. and I won't be using the green until I buy another truck and trailer, so you win!
Old 04-27-2009, 04:47 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Awesome, well, good luck to you this year.

Quote:
Old 04-27-2009, 07:56 PM
LawnSite Member

coolest fenders ever!!!
-Echo PB 413
-Husqvarna 580bts
-Husqvarna 370 bts (2)
-Stihl hs 45
-Husqvarna 326 LDX (2)
-Accelerator bagger for metro
-'09 Anderson 6x12' flatbed trailer
-'11 Maxum 6x12' 12,000k dump trailer
-'04 Pace 8.5x18' enclosed trailer
-1991 Ford Ranger xlt 4x4
-2011 F350 with 8' Fisher+dump insert
Old 04-28-2009, 01:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriz2ooo View Post
coolest fenders ever!!!
Thanks, I wished I could take the credit for the but the previous owner put them on. But I wouldn't change them for the world. They are to much of a conversation piece.