Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-06-2012, 10:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Some palm tree trimming.
Attached Images

Old 01-06-2012, 10:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

With all due respect, you guys took off too many fronds....
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-06-2012, 11:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondlandscaping View Post
With all due respect, you guys took off too many fronds....
Posted via Mobile Device
Really? Huh, But that was a good proper trimming for those palms. They needed a good trimming and a good cleaning of the old cut frongs and dry shells.
Old 01-06-2012, 11:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

We call that hurricane cutting in Florida. Most homeowners and LCOs here have this idea that palms should be left with 2-3 fronds which is false. Palms store food in the fronds sonwhen you remove a live frond you are removing food. The palm research experts at the University of Florida recommend only removing dead fronds, fruits, and flowers. Now, if you must remove live fronds, it is recommended to go no higher than the 3 and 9 o'clock position. Now, I don't think you guys in Cali have as many problems with nutrient deficiencies as we do in Florida, but just throwing out some knowledge. I didn't mean any harm.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-07-2012, 12:09 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlawncaresvc View Post
A few pictures from a seminar that we attended back in Febuary at John Deere Landscapes. The seminar was on synthetic lawn. We attended it because we were curious to see what is the buzz with this stuff. And I can tell you that a person that lays out carpet for a living would do excellent in this stuff. I don't know, I just don't see this stuff being so much in demand. Especially where we are located. The was free barbque, so that was also a reason we went. There was this one guy there that knew it all. I mean he would not shut his mouth. He would ask question that he already knew the answer to. He did mention that he has done like around 200 of those synthetic lawn installations. And I said to myself "so what, you want a medal or something?" I feltl like telling him to shut the freak up man.
that is the best post on lawnsite ever!!!

you guys are awesome man. why have i not seen this thread before? you and your crew do great work man. i love it when guys post alot of pics like this. it helps the rest of us learn how to do things. most guys show very little pics or none at all. keep up the great work man!!! i love how you guys see a need for your business and you just build it yourself. that's so cool.
Old 01-07-2012, 01:07 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondlandscaping View Post
We call that hurricane cutting in Florida. Most homeowners and LCOs here have this idea that palms should be left with 2-3 fronds which is false. Palms store food in the fronds sonwhen you remove a live frond you are removing food. The palm research experts at the University of Florida recommend only removing dead fronds, fruits, and flowers. Now, if you must remove live fronds, it is recommended to go no higher than the 3 and 9 o'clock position. Now, I don't think you guys in Cali have as many problems with nutrient deficiencies as we do in Florida, but just throwing out some knowledge. I didn't mean any harm.
Posted via Mobile Device
No harm taken. Actually thanks for the info. Yeah here in Cali palms are always given a trim this way. I know it looks like we harm them but it actually does them well.
Old 01-07-2012, 01:12 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonsLawnCare1 View Post
that is the best post on lawnsite ever!!!

you guys are awesome man. why have i not seen this thread before? you and your crew do great work man. i love it when guys post alot of pics like this. it helps the rest of us learn how to do things. most guys show very little pics or none at all. keep up the great work man!!! i love how you guys see a need for your business and you just build it yourself. that's so cool.
Jason, thanks. Glad you enjoy the thread. We appreciate it when you guys go through our thread and have anything to say about it. Also glad our thread is some kind of a help to you. We like to post as many pics as possible. Our thread has been on here for a while now you probably just haven't seen it lately because I haven't been on here lately to update it.
Old 01-07-2012, 03:26 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

yeah i just realized it was started before i joined lawnsite. keep up the great work. i can't wait to see more pics.
Old 01-07-2012, 08:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlawncaresvc View Post
The major fabrication is done on the ramps. Just a little bit of things left on them, like some handles on the side of them.
Your ramp angle looks a lot better than the commerical ones. They are unsafe to go up and down with a 21". Is the force to close those gates reasonable or will you add an assist device.
Old 01-08-2012, 02:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed2hess View Post
Your ramp angle looks a lot better than the commerical ones. They are unsafe to go up and down with a 21". Is the force to close those gates reasonable or will you add an assist device.
They are pretty reasonable to close. We made them of much lighter material. Unlike the ones that others build with stronger heavier material. But there's always the possibility of us making an assist for them. And believe me when I say it. We can make them ourselves. Thanks for looking.
Posted via Mobile Device