Click for Weather

Old 04-19-2009, 02:53 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

We lost about 5 hours due to weather this week
Old 04-19-2009, 02:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoots View Post
Why are you paying overtime just because it is a weekend? For me, until they hit 40 hrs, is still regular pay. Holidays are the only exception.
how the hell can you not hit 40 by saturday???
Old 04-19-2009, 03:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnman_scott View Post
how the hell can you not hit 40 by saturday???
Because Saturday is a back up day. When it rains we dont come in unless the rain is going to stop early or it is light enough to mow.
Sub-contract Aerifying available too
Old 04-19-2009, 05:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLARK LAWN View Post
we do 6 days until the end of may,just have to in order to stay on top of it all. this is not negocialable be here if you want a job. as for the crew leader not answering the company cell phone he would be getting a message saying that you have 1/2 hour to return this call or i will consider this your resignation,
I'd hand you my phone with a f---off. No way I would expect someone to be on call just because you are backed up. People have lives, kids b-days etc. Things that are alot more important than working until death. Now with that being said if there was given notice of 48 hrs prior to saturday that should be enough notice. Not a call on sat morning saying hey come to work. I would answer the phone and laugh in you ear.
Old 04-19-2009, 06:39 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I always stress family first this applies to myself & employee's. It did rain here in the early AM, and I did mention to the guys we were going to be working on Saturday later if it rains. For me if I'm working on Saturday it's like any other day minus I'm a little slower getting up, the guys know this, and tend to take advantage of this buy NOT ANSWERING their phones as fast as I would like, but they always come through, just make me sweat it for about an hour or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by ED'S LAWNCARE View Post
I'd hand you my phone with a f---off. No way I would expect someone to be on call just because you are backed up. People have lives, kids b-days etc. Things that are alot more important than working until death. Now with that being said if there was given notice of 48 hrs prior to saturday that should be enough notice. Not a call on sat morning saying hey come to work. I would answer the phone and laugh in you ear.
Old 04-19-2009, 07:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ED'S LAWNCARE View Post
My guys know that if it rains Monday they will working Saturday. If it rains Monday and Tuesday they know they will be working Saturday and Sunday. I don't have to tell them. Now if they have wedding to go to or something that cannot be rescheduled that is different.

Most of my guys want to work weekends. I have a crew out working today(Sunday) because they wanted to.
Old 04-19-2009, 09:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosparkplugs View Post
Guys are just beat tired on Fridays during the spring ME I'm ready to GO

I am having a hard time getting the guys to work on weekends/Saturday we don't work on Sunday's. It rained some here in the AM we can mow now!!! sun is out, and of course Friday was payroll. My crew leader will not answer his company phone either, were not behind but I would like to get ahead too. Stuck in the office, and on Lawnsite until they show up

Maybe Bonus Money would work for weekends. CASH IS KING
Most of my guys are happy to work weekends (time and a half). A few don't want to. I try to get everything done during the week. I've had a few who had a problem dragging themselves in on Monday or continually show up late. They don't last very long. I get about 3 calls a week (without advertising) from guys looking for work. If you don't show up, you don't have a job.
Old 04-19-2009, 09:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ed's and other guys that would get mad about "the phone call" forget that we all work in a service based industry. The customer comes first...if we want to keep a job. If it rains or something else comes in the way, you must make some small sacrifices to get things done.

If you take nothing else from this thread, remember this, THE GRASS IS ALWAYS GROWING.

When you skip properties for 2 weeks there is normally twice the work, the crews get one day less on their check to share with their family and on and on we go.

Lest we forget that in the winter time most everyone has greatly reduced hours so they have time to spend at home then.

Make hay while the sun is shining and get to work.
Sub-contract Aerifying available too
Old 04-19-2009, 09:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmunoz View Post
Most of my guys are happy to work weekends (time and a half). A few don't want to. I try to get everything done during the week. I've had a few who had a problem dragging themselves in on Monday or continually show up late. They don't last very long. I get about 3 calls a week (without advertising) from guys looking for work. If you don't show up, you don't have a job.
I get calls on the time with people looking for a job because they see my trucks, yellow pages, or other advertising. I am about to the point where I just hang up on them. Most of the time I cannot understand ebonix(white and black people) and when I get their references, they give me the last guy that fired them because they were sorry employees. Are these guys just idiots? Do they think I ask for references just to bluff them? When I need guys, I talk to my employees and they find me good ones.
Old 04-20-2009, 01:17 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawnworks View Post
My guys know that if it rains Monday they will working Saturday. If it rains Monday and Tuesday they know they will be working Saturday and Sunday. I don't have to tell them. Now if they have wedding to go to or something that cannot be rescheduled that is different.

Exactly, if its a crew lead he knows when they are behind.