Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-20-2009, 02:26 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Mann View Post
I used t have the same problem, guys not wanting to work on Saturday. Then I figured it out, I paid on Friday. I put 2 and 2 together. I now pay on Tuesday. No body misses a Wednesday or Saturday any more.

Peace,

Rex

http://PaverExperts.Com
THAT is very unique.
Old 04-20-2009, 10:05 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawnworks View Post
I get calls on the time with people looking for a job because they see my trucks, yellow pages, or other advertising. I am about to the point where I just hang up on them. Most of the time I cannot understand ebonix(white and black people) and when I get their references, they give me the last guy that fired them because they were sorry employees. Are these guys just idiots? Do they think I ask for references just to bluff them? When I need guys, I talk to my employees and they find me good ones.
I call previous employers as well. I had an applicant once where the company told me that the guy I was calling about had never even worked there. If they lie about where they worked, how long they worked somewhere, or what they actually did, I don't hire them. I figure they'll lie about other things when they're my employee. I'd also prefer to hire someone referred to me by one of my guys. They don't refer slackers because they know it comes to them. And, you've got to wonder about the applicants who say things you really shouldn't tell prospective employers.
Old 04-20-2009, 05:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm just entering into this mess of employing others. I'd like to say that I take references, but I'd need someone to vouch for my kid...
Old 04-20-2009, 05:59 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

With unemployment the way it is now and only going to get worse they are dam lucky to have a job. Now is not the time to tick off your employer.

Employees do not dictate when they come to work. The employer does.

If I had to sit around my office waiting and wondering if my guys were going to show up, there is no way in heck they would still be working here. And yes, they better answer MY phone if I call.

I spent too many years putting up with those games because I didnt want to "lose my good guys"

That was until I woke up and realized that who I thought were "good guys" were crap.
Old 04-20-2009, 11:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PROCUT1 View Post
With unemployment the way it is now and only going to get worse they are dam lucky to have a job. Now is not the time to tick off your employer.

Employees do not dictate when they come to work. The employer does.

If I had to sit around my office waiting and wondering if my guys were going to show up, there is no way in heck they would still be working here. And yes, they better answer MY phone if I call.

I spent too many years putting up with those games because I didnt want to "lose my good guys"

That was until I woke up and realized that who I thought were "good guys" were crap.
Good advice Procut. Right on the money. We are feeding their families... they need to learn that providing for their family is their first priority.