Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-21-2009, 08:49 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grass Happens View Post
Sorry, I did say that, and i don't know why. I was thinking about 2.5 yrds of compost, which would come out about .2", if i could possibly rake that evenly.
When I was doing the winter rake out, I picked out 3 areas and raked vigorously, where as the rest of the lawn was a light rake. Those areas have greened up substantially compared to every where else. So for now, I'm going to just recommended a dethatch, and do reseeding this fall.
My guess to why it greened up is soil temp, the thatch acted as a insulator. I'll bet if you measured the temp it would higher where you removed the thatch
I think you are on the right track, make sure it is a finished compost that you are using. If it is warm or smells it is not finished

Core aerate, overseed, top dress, rake. Barefoot James says he brings a wheelbarrow of compost in and turns on his leaf blower and blows it out. He says it works great and goes fast
Old 04-21-2009, 09:13 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
hauling away the basis for nutrient cycling to purchase and transport different products is ... unsustainable.
That brought a tear to my eye.
Old 04-21-2009, 09:16 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicmudpuppy View Post
I've said or attempted to say this before, but maybe without the right "inflection". The most important thing that happens with aerification is breaking up those cores across the surface. If you just leave the cores to "melt", you've wasted a great opportunity. ...
... Now, decomposition of the thatch layer can begin. If you get soil on top of that thatch layer, if very quickly loses its definition of being thatch. It now becomes "just" organic matter that will decompose and become available nutrients.
The cores either melt on their own over the top of the thatch, or you charge the client more time to go over and personally bust them up... so you can get them 'on top of the thatch'. Was the 'great opportunity' to pick up a few dollars more?

If there is any microbrial activity going on, the decomp has already begun. Problem is - the roots continue to expand into the thatch layer, quicker than it is decompt. We want roots of KBG to grow downwardly lateral as opposed to upwardly lateral. That way - the thatch layer decreases rather than increases.

Everyone has a theory about fixing the symptoms - rather than the cure, or prevention... address the roots growing upwardly...

Question: 1). Does the thatch layer thicken from the top of the existing layer?
-OR- Does thatch thicken from the bottom of the existing layer of thatch?

Question: 2). Are there living roots and stems growing in the thatch layer?

If the answer to question 1 = from the top and Anwser 2). = true... What does that mean???
Old 04-21-2009, 11:59 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ok, so maybe I should just apply some molasses and or sugar down for now, and give it some time? I'll do a search on here for optimal rates a little later this afternoon. I do remember reading a thread here saying that molasses should be available at a co-op so I'll give them a call later too.

Here are some pictures of the lawn after the raking, you should be able to see pretty clearly the areas I'm talking about.

Old 04-24-2009, 04:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

[QUOTE=Grass Happens;2944860]Ok, so maybe I should just apply some molasses and or sugar down for now, and give it some time? I'll do a search on here for optimal rates a little later this afternoon. I do remember reading a thread here saying that molasses should be available at a co-op so I'll give them a call later too.

Here are some pictures of the lawn after the raking, you should be able to see pretty clearly the areas I'm talking about. ... [QUOTE]

That lawn looks fine to me once its green it should be pretty densely populated with grass blades.
Old 04-25-2009, 09:45 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I went by yesterday, and it looks about the same. Just the area surronding the porch had grown, everything else, not so much.
Old 04-25-2009, 08:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

If it is really dead and not just - slow - in breaking dormancy , then you and I both have some real serious issues to contend with.

My curiousity involves: "which genus/specie of grass is coming in so late and - why??"...
Old 04-25-2009, 09:34 PM
LawnSite Member

smallaxe,
How do you recommend fixing a thatch problem? apply molasses and then topdress?

Thanks Rick
2-48" husqvarna walkbeind with sulky
36" toro walkbehind
4 T242-210 shindaiwa trimmers
2 husqvarna back back blowers
2 22" husqvarna mowers
husqvarna chainsaw
743b bobcat skid steer
2-Ryan Aerators
2- Bluebird de-thatchers
2-HS75 stihl hedgo trimmer
1 husqvarna hedge trimmer
300 gallon turbo turf hydroseeder
50 gallon turbo turf hydroseeder

Fully Insured/Registered/Pay Taxes
Old 04-26-2009, 01:16 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

The front is sod, KBG, cultivar? who knows!? Back yard is seeded, looks like some fescue in there, but again... Everything was done when she moved in. Yesterday and part of today it was warm and wet, (70s-80s), tonight, cold and wet (~40s) I'm going to wait till we have a stretch of warmth to see if we wake up some microbials.
Old 04-26-2009, 07:56 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLawns View Post
smallaxe,
How do you recommend fixing a thatch problem? apply molasses and then topdress?

Thanks Rick
I just spead about 20 lbs. of sugar on 2 lawns yesterday, in between rain clouds. Will want to topdress in the next couple of weeks.
No N at this time, the grass color, vigor, and thickness are outstanding.

This application should kick start the digestion of dead grass , surface debris, and feed it slowly to the plant roots, while in the meantime tying up surface N and forcing the roots to grow down for N below the surface.

So yes, The ambition is to eliminate psuedo-thatch directly and real-thatch indirectly, with sugar/molasses and compost.