Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-20-2009, 04:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Used tru-cut, good price???

I'm looking at a tru-cut reel mower, 5.5hp engine, 7 blades, 25" width blade, used mower. I have to get a reel mower for a lawn I mow and wanted some opinions on if this is a good buy. Also, what should I inspect when I go to look at the mower? Thanks
Old 04-20-2009, 05:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

How old is it, it sounds like a homeowner model, please give moe info.
What turf are you planning on cutting? If Emerald Zoysia I would use a Trimmet Brand or the tru cut with the drop down wheel, but for Bermuda it is ok.
Old 04-20-2009, 08:01 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

If it's for "a" lawn you mow, I'd make sure you'll be adding more reel-cut lawns and charging accordingly.

With reel mowers the cost isn't in the machine, it's the cost and time to lap the blades and the much slower pace of cutting.

I've bought machines over the years for specific properties thinking I'd use it elsewhere and usually regretted the purchase. Sometimes it's better to just pass on a job and stick to the most cost effective niche'.
Old 04-21-2009, 08:58 PM
LawnSite Member

To answer everyone's questions:
1. It is the pro model, I don't know how old it is, is there a way to tell?
2. The turf is bermuda

Also brucec32 what is lapping on the blades?
Old 04-21-2009, 10:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Need more info to get you a price. They sell for just under 2k new with a honda. You really should have a tech look at it and give you an Idea what its worth. Its important to inspect the reel and knife, the clutch and the differnential on these mowers.
Lapping is when you spin the reel backwards and apply a lapping compound to sharpen the blades. Tru cuts are very fussy and you will most likely need a pro to get it right or you will have a "streaking" problem
Old 04-24-2009, 11:43 PM
LawnSite Member

what is "streaking"?
Old 04-25-2009, 02:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by frost View Post
what is "streaking"?
Something college kids do across a football field
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
Husqvarna 125B Blower
PG Magnum
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Old 04-25-2009, 06:39 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Frost, these tru-cut mowers are extremely difficult to grind properly.
The reel is an integral part of the mower frame along with the bedknife so any hard
drops often causes uneven wear to both the bedknife and reel. The lapping one poster wrote about is a maintenance process meant to restore the reel to bedknife relationship. What you have to know about reel mowers is the reel will wear away altering the reel to bedknife relationship beyond what lapping can restore. This is why grinding, usually once a year is necessary unless you have cranged the mower some how.
The cost to grind a mower like this is often 2 - 3 times what a 25" reel mower would cost.
I charge $150.00 up to 23", $175.00 to 27" and $225.00 up to 38" reels to grind but the customer has to remove the bed bar first or I get $50 to R/R the bed bar after I have ground the bedknife.
After grinding several tru-cuts I simply won't accept one in my shop for less than $350.00 as they are that hard to set up on a spin grinder. Also bear in mind I have been in the profession as a Agronomist for about 20 years and spent many years as a Golf Course Superintendent during which I have ground literally countless reels.
A better bet for you is to look into the Hayter Harriet mower marketed by Seagro or Seagrove out of Florida.
This is a 21" reel mower designed to mow to as low as 1/2" which is lower than a seven bladed reel can go, has a wonderful striping roller rear drive mechanism, has a collection bag and best of all has a simple rotary blade that is easy to remove, grind/balance and replace.
The only reason why you would have to mow with a reel mower is if the turf site has rapid undulations in it otherwise the Hayter is a better choice.
The chances are the customer wants a reel mower used more for bragging rights and since the C4 turf you are mowing doesn't really stripe all that well to begin with or maintain the stripe, the customer probably doesn't know what they are talking about.
Besides, from your comments you do not understand reel mowers and the idiosyncrasies associated with operating one.
Old 04-27-2009, 06:09 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I would look into the Locke reels, can't beat them. I have the C 125
www.locketurf.com

Tags
good buy , opinion , price , reel mower , tru-cut