Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-21-2009, 03:54 PM
LawnSite Member

after a heavy rain how long??

i know MANY variables to this ?......how long after a good 1 to 1.5 inche rain does it take before your infields drain to playable??i have a field that drains in a few hours and one that takes 12 or more after a good rain......a coach told me after 12 hrs it should be playable...we had a 1.75 inches when he said this...and it seems we dont have nice soaking rains here anymore ,just a monsoon downpour or a few weeks of drought..nothing nice and soaking....???how long is the norm???for a parks dept....not college play
Old 04-21-2009, 05:44 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I can sympathize with you there. The last couple summers we have been begging for rain or begging for it to quit. Are you talking about a dirt infield? If so, if we get an inch and it stops raining by 2:00 p.m. we can have at least 5 and sometimes 6 of 6 ready for play by 5:00 p.m. in one park I help out at (3 dirt infields, 3 grass and dirt). An inch does seem to be the tipping point though. If we get more than 1 1/2" they are probably rescheduling depending on when it stops, how quickly it landed, how dry it was before, etc.

The best thing you can do is work on improving the surface drainage because not much of it is going to drain through. I have another thread here about one I just finished. Actually, we got a couple inches this week and I now see I have more to do on that one.

If you have grass infields and dirt base paths, skin, coaches boxes, etc. then you can probably tolerate more rain and clean them up more quickly. We do not push any water off in the grass and have found pumps and shop vacs work best. We do not use any bagged drying agents either but add dry infield dirt throughout the summer.

I am experimenting with a granular wetting agent on one dirt infield but can’t say yet how I think it is working. It is rather expensive ($115 for 20,000 square feet) so it is going to have to work great for me to adopt it as a standard practice.
Old 04-23-2009, 07:23 PM
LawnSite Member

I have worked on a few baseball fields from high school to professional, in my opinion your best help can be mother nature. I think that as soon as you can without making to big of a mess try to open up the skin and let it dry. wind and sun will help you out alot. what kind of material are you using on the skin? Drying agents are great but if you get to much they tend to be soft and can hurt your play areas, then the next time that it rains that material is still there and people tend to put more, so over a period of time it tends to get alot of it built up. and it doesnt seem to let the skin tighten. try adding bags of in field mix maybe like 5-7 thru the middle after you open it up then spike it after you let it sit for a bit that will mix it all in better. I think that the longer you can leave it open for air and sunshine to help you dry it out the better off you will be, if possible try not to finish drag it until the last poissible minute leaving it open as long as you can. Also if you can try to put a quick and lite nail dreag on it after your teams take infield, this may be hard to do it really depends on how much time that you have and how much the coach is willing to work with you. I have found out that opening it in a long ways and then circleing does great, but just in those directions once it seems that the more you keep nail dragging the wet areas that you tend to pull up more moisture from down deep. so just something with nails or spikes about three inches long works great.