Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-21-2009, 08:28 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Urea organic or synthetic

When I say organic, is it OK to use it in an organic program.
Old 04-21-2009, 08:35 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

As of right now, my personal opinion is it is on the line of synthetic and organic and can be used in an organic program where needed. Not on a regular basis but as a sort of catch up to help repair a hurting lawn quickly. Remember I am dealing mainly with Bermuda which requires a lot of N and the slow acting organics I feel can cause problems in the beginning if the N stays too low too long...
Old 04-21-2009, 09:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Why not just use food grade urea and call it edible.....
Old 04-21-2009, 10:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

hmmm.... food grade, where did I hear that before, no its not for use in an organic program
Old 04-22-2009, 01:43 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

The answer to that lies in your choice. What definition of "Organic" do you choose as your ethical compass?

The chemistry definition?

The sustainable definition?

The natural definition?

The edible(safe) definition?

The "go green" fad definition?

Why not just mix in a little blood meal waste or manure waste right before applying? (I admit that I added feed urea to my compost blend this round)
Old 04-22-2009, 07:59 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

In the perfect world organic would be not only organic materials but sustainable organic materials. And maybe I will be able to get to that place at some point in time. My view on organics with my company is to be as organic as possible with the understanding that synthetics have their place.

I used this customer on another thread, I have a customer who is an organic "freak" as we put certain people in categories to know what to expect when we approach them. Not freak as in looney but freak as in completely and totally organic in every aspect of their life. Maybe you guys can come up with a better word for them, fanatic? Anyways, she has a bermuda lawn in partial shade, full of broadleaf weeds and a good bit of poa annua.

My thought is, and this is what I discussed with the customer, do one treatment to get a handle on the broad leaf weeds and allow us to have a "cleaner" slate to work from. The poa annua will die off if it ever heats up like it typically does, been a colder spring than normal it seems.... then get the organics going as fast as possible. I know I have said this before, but her bermuda lawn has not had any type of fert program in years, and without having the soil test back yet I am speculating, along with the current condition of the turf, that the N levels are lacking badly in her lawn which requires large amounts to thrive. SO, for the lawn to take off which most others properly cared for are already, we need to get that N up and going quickly, understand I mean this in a practicle term not over night... so Urea comes into play to help raise the N levels as the turf comes out of dormancy. The organics will be applied at the same time allowing the N levels to continue as the organic materials break down within a few weeks...

Synthetics have their place but organics are the way to go.

So is Urea organic or synthetic? I kind of see it on the fence and you can push and pull it whichever way you need it to go... pull it over in times like now, and then push it back when you have done whats needed...

This again is why my company is "organic-based". However, there are many other companies around that say they are organic and after asking a few basic questions the truth of the matter comes out that they are indeed fully synthetic. I believe I am the only truly organic minded... organic-based leaning heavily towards organic... in North Ga.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:15 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Urea is synthetic Organic. Have you checked pricing on CGM or blood meal? !0% and 15% (I believe) N respectfully. If you are going to use urea, suffer coated has a much lower salt index in line with Milorganite.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:50 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dishboy View Post
Urea is synthetic Organic.
That is a good way of putting it. Chemically it is organic, but can be considered synthetic or organic depending on the source.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:57 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

deep, no..synthetically made urea should not be used in an organic program, and yes most "organic biz's" use a bridge/synthetic programs anyway but there are no rules, yes some set organic standards and just using common sense will tell you what natural and whats not.

there your lawns and customers...set and make your own rules.
try to explain to your client what urea is and if they don't want it then tell them well... this is what it's going to take/cost to fix the problem
Old 04-22-2009, 04:02 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

as a bridge it may be needed by some to make it......

but with that cobb post you have no shortage of N in your compost???