Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-22-2009, 08:40 AM
LawnSite Member

Pulse Fuel Pump issue or something else?

Hello, I was recently giving my father-in-law's Craftsman tractor a tune up.
Basically, plugs, oil, gas filter, and air filter. I am having two issues, and I don't know if they are related. Once the engine (Kohler CV20s) has been running (5 min) at full throttle, I am getting oil pushing through the gold filter on the pulse type fuel pump (pn 24-393-04). The second problem is the motor does not idle
smoothly. The idle is more like a repeating surge, up and down........when the throttle is slow. Speed up the throttle and it seems to pan out.... I did a little research online and really came up with nothing. There is also an aftermarket pulse fuel pump that's made out of metal. Is this an upgrade of sorts? The oil level seems ok. I was going to change the fuel pump as a start but wanted to get some info from the online community..... thanks in advance
Old 04-22-2009, 12:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Can you post more Numbers off the engine, Model, Series?
Old 04-22-2009, 01:04 PM
LawnSite Member

My mother-in-law wrote these numbers down....
917-273-060 ( I think is the tractor)
Kohler CV20s Type 65551

And the part in question is listed in the manual as:
pump, fuel, pulse(pn 24-393-04)

Thats all I have at the moment, I can always call her if you need something else. i have been reading that there is a diaphram inside this part and it may have seen it's day... there is oil coming out of a brass/gold color type filter on the part. I can't imagine it's anything I did during the tuneup, as I was no where near that part. I appreciate any further info..
Old 04-22-2009, 02:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Are you sure the engine is not over full with oil ? No oil above the full mark ! Oil level just below full mark is OK. The way this pump works is from the crankcase presure, if the crankcase is over full you may be pushing oil through the line that feeds that presure to the pump.
Old 04-22-2009, 02:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Well, I did check the oil and it looked fine. That was the first thing I was thinking as well. They have already bought the replacement pulse pump despite me telling them to hold on. So I will replace, check the oil, and if it seems hign, I'll drop a little out. Then try again. It doesn't explain the surge in the idle though. But IMO, as long as it runs....
Old 04-22-2009, 03:09 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The surging is probably Carburetor issue, Need Cleaning, Jets adjusted, something like that. You said you replaced the fuel filter. Did it sit for long time with same gas in it. Stale gas turns to Varnish and clogs up the carburetor. If that is the case, the only way to clean the Carb. right is to take it apart.

Tags
cv20s , fuel , kohler , pulse , pump