Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-23-2009, 02:25 AM
LawnSite Member

Starting up.

I need some advice, I am not sure if I am going to do this for sure but I am throwing around the idea. I am wanting to start my own landscaping business, starting out with just mowing, property maint..

Here is my first question: How do you go about bidding a job. I have no idea what to charge etc.

That is just one of my many questions: Is there some information i can read to get better ideas? I probably wont end up doing this but I am looking into it as i have worked for a smaller landscape company and they dont really run the way i would like to, They dont go after jobs really, just word of mouth type jobs that they have been suggested to do. I want to really work at getting bigger and bigger if i go this route.
Old 04-26-2009, 05:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

CASEBoy,

Do a search from this website's seach tool and type in what questions you have. You should be able to find all the answers, you can sipher through what you want to take to heart.

As far as how you bid a property, its all about the numbers. When you first start out you'll win some and loose some, just take your lumps and provide a great service with a smile on your face and you'll be doing more for your customer than most LCO's.

Be professional and do what you say you're going to do when you say you are going to, or let the customer know why you can't.
Old 04-26-2009, 07:58 PM
LawnSite Member

thanks for the reply. I have been toying with this idea of starting up a business. I really enjoy working outside and dont mind working all day from dawn to dusk. I would just start out small with mowing, trimming, lawn care stuff, then move into bigger jobs as work increases and experience increases also. Just seeing how you all started out...