Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-23-2009, 11:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

New Z400 scalping

My day job just bought a new Toro Z400. 21HP 52" Looks decent, cuts ok, as long as you don't ever have to turn. Scalps the living daylights out of the grass when ever you do. Deck is at 3.25. I cant believe that there isn't a single anti-scalp roller on the rear of the deck. Our dealer mentioned an aftermarket company that sells a semi-universal roller bar for slightly less the $300. I think he said easy roller? anybody know? I cant imagine all of these mowers do this? I so would have preferred a Bobcat or Ferris...
Old 04-23-2009, 11:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

So it isn't a floating deck? Hmm...
Old 04-24-2009, 05:37 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hmmmmmm. You talked to your dealer about the scalping problem and now he mentions for just less than $300.00 he mentions a company which has an after market roller .

I know what my opinion is about this problem but I'd like to hear some other input.

I'm not familiar with your mower but are you able to lock the front forks ? My Cub Tank 54" will scalp on the turns sometimes if I don't lock the forks.

Nosmo
Old 04-24-2009, 08:01 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I would discuss the problem with the dealer and let him know that you didn't buy the mower to scalp customers lawns all day and if that's what it's going to keep doing, I'd demand a refund and get a mower that doesn't scalp.
Old 04-24-2009, 08:33 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yea, I plan on getting under there today, and making sure there are no mis-adjustments or anything. Its not like A. we ordered the thing a month and a half ago and just got it on Wednesday or B) I have time now to do anything with the mower, outside of mowing...

I just can't believe that Toro would make a commercial ZTR, that only has 3 anti-scalp rollers, and not a single one on the right front, or rear.
Old 04-24-2009, 08:57 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Use the foot pedal to lift the deck when you turn.
Also check to see if you have a bent blade or if the deck is not level.
If your right, rear tire is low it will scalp too.
A striping roller attached to the deck will help alot with scalping in general but won't do much while turning.
Old 04-24-2009, 09:28 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Is this a non-Turbo Force deck by chance? I have no problems with scalping with mine. However, mine is a 48".
Old 04-24-2009, 09:37 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I realize you shouldn't have to do this, but did you go over the entire machine piece by piece before setting it in motion?

Because I'll give good odds there are probably more than a few things that could need adjusting or fixing,
it has been many years since the days we could take a brand new machine fresh off the lot and run it 'as is,'
in ways they're almost as bad as used ones.

You'll see, either something needs greasing, maybe a tire needs air, loose belts, could be a zerk or a cover or some other
vital piece is completely missing, I mean check all the nuts and bolts and springs and bits and every single last piece.

I am pretty sure there's something didn't get done, but even after you find the problem that is causing the
scalping I would keep going over the entire machine because it's likely more than just that one problem.

The bad news is that unfortunately by the time you get done, it might change your view of the
manufacturing and assembly line and dealership world completely.

Last edited by topsites; 04-24-2009 at 09:47 AM.
Old 04-24-2009, 11:07 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Have you used zero turns before? If not maybe you are scuffing the turf with the inside tire. If it is the deck/blades scalping the something is wrong with the mower mechanically. Even without wheels on the back of the deck it should not scalp unless the terrain is uneven. If it is the tire your turns need to be more gradual or use a 3-point turn.
Old 04-24-2009, 01:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I worked for a guy years ago that had a Hustler super z that did that. He had the anti scalp wheels in the top hole of their bracket so they really did even touch the ground, and when you turned the blades a perfect half moon.
Check your air pressure in the tires. You wouldn't believe how much difference that makes in having a level cut.