Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-27-2009, 07:37 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Composting questions

This one is kind of being discussed in another thread but....

When making compost... I know the starting ratio is 30:1 or something like that, C:N, but what if you had more N than that maybe toward the end...

Would you have a properly composted pile or would the extra N cause it to sour and go bad, and if it wouldn't cause harm, would it help to raise the level of available N at the end of the process?

Another question is I topdressed with some local compost at the beginning of last year and I STILL have small little wood chips everywhere...

Does your finished product have these wood chips when your doing topdressing for lawns or is it all more uniform with a more soil like form? The wood chips I am sure would be great for planting, but it doesn't look too good on the lawn itself...
Old 04-27-2009, 08:09 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

yeah its 2008 all over again............................
Old 04-27-2009, 08:41 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by treegal1 View Post
yeah its 2008 all over again............................
LOL... I guess I need a little refresher course... all of the other talk just got me thinking... along with the never ending days and not having a day off in a few weeks to just relax my thinking isn't up to par...

I should have a day off here on Wed so maybe I can remember everything again then...

The wood chips would be screened out I know that... but being that I only have my home made screen I am unsure of what an avg finished product would look like... I tried screening this stuff again but was unable to get the chips to keep out... I guess I am asking what sized screen is required to rid of most wood chips where you have a nice soil typed product that won't cause leftovers when the rains come...

I guess the extra N at the end wouldn't matter, just add it before spreading and be done with it...

Sorry tree... your work is not in vain, the brain is just running on fumes...
Old 04-27-2009, 09:00 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

ok so re-light the fumes.......

the commercial tromel we use does a good job of getting the small stuff out, less than 1/4 inch. the farm screen does it down to less than 3/16, mostly 1/8 or less.

next why is there still wood chips in it any ways ??? I mean even cedar and cypress at least 3/4 of the way composts in the pile at the 45- 60 day mark!!! and if the tea you used had any decomposers in it they may have eaten the wood by now???? try and use some of the mulch from the front yard, make a tea and use that to eat some wood????
Old 04-27-2009, 09:17 AM
LawnSite Member

i'm still not done spreading mine and it is ALL woodchips. never buying this crap again
Old 04-27-2009, 09:30 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

LOL, I got this stuff from the local landscape supply, suppose to be good stuff, and at first glance it looks like good stuff, called Natures Helper...

BUT, I have a feeling it is more for planting, soil ammending, than topdressing... hence the added wood chips...

I guess it comes down to if you want it done right you got to do it yourself...
Old 04-27-2009, 09:30 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Tree... I haven't gotten into the teas yet... still a little worried about messing it up... want to get some good casts together and start with the 5 gal bucket to get my feet wet, then visit with you guys down there when you have a class going...
Old 04-27-2009, 09:41 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

yeah that sounds good, when i get a phone up and going again I will give you a kick in the pants call!!!
Old 04-27-2009, 10:14 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Ha... Lol!!!!
Old 04-27-2009, 10:17 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I was driving Saturday and saw a 40 yard pile of sawdust at a pallet company. I drooled. I'm gonna be talking to the business owner shortly. What wood chips??