Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-24-2009, 05:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Time to spread a yard of mulch

Im going to do my first mulch spreading job and the homeowner just wants the 25 yards of mulch spread. How long would it take you guys to spread a yard of mulch with a 4 man crew including yourself??
Old 04-24-2009, 09:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradp615 View Post
Im going to do my first mulch spreading job and the homeowner just wants the 25 yards of mulch spread. How long would it take you guys to spread a yard of mulch with a 4 man crew including yourself??
This is worded very confusingly but I can do about 2 yards an hour myself. Less if you have to spead it around small plants and stuff like that.

Are you sure he wants 25 yards cause that is a huge truckload.

So I guess to answer your question a 4 man crew can spead a yard of mulch in about 10 minutes.
Old 04-24-2009, 09:57 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

1.5 yrds per guy per hour. most guys can do about 2 but ur always better to have more time then u need. It would probably take 5 hrs to spead the mulch but thats with out putting in the new edges and trimming shrubs and whatnot

I am over workd and underpaid but maybe its my own fault
Old 04-24-2009, 10:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

He is saying the customer has had or will have the 25 yards delivered and his guys just have to spread it. I myself do this at a large property I take care of by myself and I can accomplish about 8 yards in a day. So I would I imagine that 4 guys could do the 25 in about 7-8 hours tops now it may take way more time if it is hilly or you have a long wheel from the pile.
Old 04-24-2009, 11:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

thats alot of mulch i can do about 2 yards an hour by myself
Old 04-24-2009, 11:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I concur with 2 per hour rake spread, sift or hand spread 45 minutes each.
Old 04-25-2009, 06:43 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

4 guys should be able to knock out 25 yards in a day no problem, unless you've got some workers who like to lean on a shovel.

I did 15 yards by myself in 8 hours, 3 truck loads with 40 minute drive time for each load.

I don't like having my mulch delivered, it takes way too much time to scoop it off the ground. I can go much quicker shoveling it off the back of my dump truck.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 04-25-2009, 10:19 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Gardens View Post
4 guys should be able to knock out 25 yards in a day no problem, unless you've got some workers who like to lean on a shovel.

I did 15 yards by myself in 8 hours, 3 truck loads with 40 minute drive time for each load.

I don't like having my mulch delivered, it takes way too much time to scoop it off the ground. I can go much quicker shoveling it off the back of my dump truck.
Its easyer to shovel off the ground then on a 16ft landscape trailer with plywood sides. I would know we did that for far to long.

I am over workd and underpaid but maybe its my own fault
Old 04-25-2009, 10:25 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We did 54 yards the other day with 4 guys, busting a**, about 9:00 to 6:00 with lunch and 4 trips close by to load my truck and trailer. That's working out of a Br-mar and a f550. It was pretty easy spreading....

Did 16 yards yesterday with one other guy after edging and clean-up, took about 4.5 hrs. And that job was a long haul to some places on the property! But it still works out to about 1.5 yds/hr per man with spreading. 3 or 4 guys is the key. 1 filling, 1 or two wheelbarrowing and 1 spreading.
Old 04-25-2009, 10:54 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.L.M. View Post
He is saying the customer has had or will have the 25 yards delivered and his guys just have to spread it. I myself do this at a large property I take care of by myself and I can accomplish about 8 yards in a day. So I would I imagine that 4 guys could do the 25 in about 7-8 hours tops now it may take way more time if it is hilly or you have a long wheel from the pile.
That's probably a good estimate. . .I did 32 yards in two days with three guys on a big job last year. . . lotta little grasses to go around, though.

MJS Lawn & Landscape

Servicing commercial and residential properties

Legal, Licensed, and Insured