Register free!
Search
 
     

Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 04-26-2009, 02:11 AM
JDUtah's Avatar
JDUtah JDUtah is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: UT
Posts: 2,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
If your method cannot stand up to scrutiny, then perhaps it needs to be rethought?
lol my method only has to answer to me... Last I checked I wasn't accountable to anyone here on lawnsite.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-26-2009, 06:42 AM
dishboy dishboy is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: zone 6
Posts: 3,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDUtah View Post
lol my method only has to answer to me... Last I checked I wasn't accountable to anyone here on lawnsite.

So the jury is implying I need to be accountable to someone other than my wife. I'm with you on this one. I am more concerned with the PSYCHO Psychiatrist who lives next door. Maybe if I get rid of the boat and park the one ton truck on the street I would have enough room to process a little material................. Na, I guess a couple little piles for personal consumption is going to be it.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-26-2009, 07:39 AM
DeepGreenLawn DeepGreenLawn is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Woodstock, GA
Posts: 2,372
Quote:
Originally Posted by dishboy View Post
Na, I guess a couple little piles for personal consumption is going to be it.
Starting small and then going big sounds like a smart idea...
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-26-2009, 08:32 AM
pt03 pt03 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Winnipeg Manitoba
Posts: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepGreenLawn View Post
good start.. that is what I was thinking, maybe a little taller/bigger piles though? It sure shows how little room you need...
They start out tall, but they never stay tall.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/laj2006...48902/sizes/l/




Lloyd
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-26-2009, 09:03 AM
Daner's Avatar
Daner Daner is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Guelph Ontario Canada
Posts: 1,281
Hi Deep...I have a horse farm with 2 big buildings, But I would never do any composting In the buildings. A chipper would be good for me too...but not worth the costs...most branch's from trees, etc just get put out In the bush on this farm.
On another note... I don't use shavings I have tons of doo doo...but I'm always low on carbon.
I do add some wood shavings,but I'm very careful that No cedar , walnut Plywood or mdf Is mixed In there. I get straw for free...so that also goes In the pile...I want to see heat...cold piles are not good......As far as flipping the pile...The skid steer sometimes wont have the reach...I like the BiG JD With a stone fork ,not a bucket...you can dig In there better with the fork...and see what your doing.

Happy Summer to yaa and the best of luck this year.

Daner
__________________
handmade bowls - Rockwood Excavation
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 04-26-2009, 10:07 AM
Kiril Kiril is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: District 9 CA
Posts: 18,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDUtah View Post
lol my method only has to answer to me... Last I checked I wasn't accountable to anyone here on lawnsite.
Nor should you be. I merely pointing out that you should consider the combined experience of the posters on this forum and what you might gain from that.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 04-26-2009, 09:16 PM
treegal1's Avatar
treegal1 treegal1 is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: drifting.......
Posts: 4,021
deep Lloyd has the idea, start off with an idea of how much compost you will need and go from there. at present my main compost plant is over 10K under roof. but I have done it in every thing from indoors to on the farm. and every where in the middle. I am at present working on a 28,000 yard compost facility (ASP)
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 04-26-2009, 10:55 PM
DeepGreenLawn DeepGreenLawn is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Woodstock, GA
Posts: 2,372
Quote:
Originally Posted by treegal1 View Post
deep Lloyd has the idea, start off with an idea of how much compost you will need and go from there. at present my main compost plant is over 10K under roof. but I have done it in every thing from indoors to on the farm. and every where in the middle. I am at present working on a 28,000 yard compost facility (ASP)
Yep, that is about what I would like to have to start off with. Nothing huge, any extras maybe sell or give away to people to use in their gardens. I am sure it will take me a little while to get the process down. Definitely want to pay you a visit and attend one of your classes first tree.

Oh, and I wouldn't be "borrowing" the loader/chipper, I would most definitely "rent" it sort-o-speak from the farm just as I would rent the land. I would probably have it built into the rent... that and use their shavings/manure... most farms from what I have seen would love to just get rid of that stuff a lot of the times...
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 04-27-2009, 09:10 AM
treegal1's Avatar
treegal1 treegal1 is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: drifting.......
Posts: 4,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepGreenLawn View Post
Yep, that is about what I would like to have to start off with. Nothing huge, any extras maybe sell or give away to people to use in their gardens. I am sure it will take me a little while to get the process down. Definitely want to pay you a visit and attend one of your classes first tree.

Oh, and I wouldn't be "borrowing" the loader/chipper, I would most definitely "rent" it sort-o-speak from the farm just as I would rent the land. I would probably have it built into the rent... that and use their shavings/manure... most farms from what I have seen would love to just get rid of that stuff a lot of the times...
oh dude, we get paid to get the manure!!! paid to compost on site!!! and paid to load said manure, with there equipment!!!! if i have to bring my loader or excavator or tractor it gets billed @ 75$ per hour 4 hour min!!!!! dumpsters cost 275$ to drop and YOU load. over 20 days its another 60$ per 20 days.

tip fees at indian town are 32 $ per ton. yes we have a scale. down south at the other place we are working with its 8$ per yard to drop. the big guys we are setting up do it by the truck load. what part of paid dont you get?????????????

oh and we also get a contract to state that we are exclusive for X time frame
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 04-27-2009, 09:34 AM
DeepGreenLawn DeepGreenLawn is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Woodstock, GA
Posts: 2,372
really! I will have to look into this... more...

I know some of these guys are hurting for space... I need to get the process down first and then I will start selling to farms nearby...

I do know they hate the stuff sitting around even if they do have room...
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:54 AM.

Page generated in 0.10453 seconds with 7 queries